lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Rottdog
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Torque i need torque!!!2001 DS

I have read a bunch of threads on here and I am still not sure on the correct course of action. I have a Jakes 6" long travel lift on my cart and 22" tires. My cart has always seemed to be oddly fast (I think) even after the lift and tires it runs top speed of 23-24MPH. I live in a fairly hilly neighborhood and it as it should slow downs going up some of the steeper hills. I bought cart used but I don't think it has anything after market other than what I put on. My issue is that when I am not on asphalt cart has a really hard time starting to move from a dead stop. Once moving it's fine. Type of terrain fairly flat field with high grass. I want to be able to actually take in woods but don't trust it the way I runs now. Its Great for the neigh or hood but not much else I'm not worried about speed so a reduction of top end speed would not bother me. My cart is a series cart. Any suggestions?
Rottdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Torque i need torque!!!2001 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottdog View Post
I have read a bunch of threads on here and I am still not sure on the correct course of action. I have a Jakes 6" long travel lift on my cart and 22" tires. My cart has always seemed to be oddly fast (I think) even after the lift and tires it runs top speed of 23-24MPH. I live in a fairly hilly neighborhood and it as it should slow downs going up some of the steeper hills. I bought cart used but I don't think it has anything after market other than what I put on. My issue is that when I am not on asphalt cart has a really hard time starting to move from a dead stop. Once moving it's fine. Type of terrain fairly flat field with high grass. I want to be able to actually take in woods but don't trust it the way I runs now. Its Great for the neigh or hood but not much else I'm not worried about speed so a reduction of top end speed would not bother me. My cart is a series cart. Any suggestions?
Your speed is too high for stock. So the cart is modified. Calculate the read end gear ratio or get a closer look at the motor. This cart should only be going Around 18 mph. 8:1 gears would be my first guess.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure it's easy to push by hand. It may be the brakes dragging. Especially with a lift.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
Rottdog
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I forgot to mention that it is a 48 volt cart not sure that makes a diff. just thought i would mention it. Checked brakes they aren't dragging. haven't had a chance to look at motor yet. I do have a question though, how do I calculate the rear end gear ratio?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Rottdog
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have attached photos of motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart motor.jpg (75.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart motor2.jpg (148.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart motor3.jpg (162.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart motor4.jpg (142.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
Rottdog
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i have attached pics of diff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart diff.jpg (133.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart diff2.jpg (145.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart diff3.jpg (103.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart diff4.jpg (128.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
Rottdog
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scottyb I posted pics of motor and diff. hope there is information there that may help you recommend what I may need to get more torque. I dont know how to determine gearing in rear diff. any info on that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Rottdog
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scottyb I posted pics of motor and diff. hope there is information there that may help you recommend what I may need to get more torque. I dont know how to determine gearing in rear diff. any info on that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You're not going to be able to tell the gear ratio by looking at the differential. Remove the motor, make a mark on one of the tires, and make a mark on the input shaft where the motor attached to the differential. Jack up one side of the cart, leaving the un-marked tire on the ground, keeping it from rotating. Rotate the differential input shaft by hand and pay close attention to your mark. Count how many times the shaft rotates before the tire makes one complete revolution.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
Rottdog
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the info on finding out gear ratio that's a huge help. Would you happen to know if the motor is after market? I googled the BT 4002 number on the motor and this motor came up on amazon here is the link

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Moto.../dp/B00J35AA0S

I don't know enough about these carts but based on how fast my cart is i'm guessing the motor on my cart is not original. hence the high speed and low torque, if that is the case would my next move be to upgrade cables and controller to 400 amp controller?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car