lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
junx69
Not Yet Wild

Default Carb overflowing

Folks, I’m about to pull my little remaining hair out over this issue and I’m hoping for some advice. It started last season, over the winter my G16s crankcase filled with gas and of course I figured it was due to a bad needle and seat. I sent my carb to Don at Plowmans to clean and rebuild, got it back and put it back on. Cart ran fine but when I came back to my campground the next week I found my crankcase full of gas again. I pulled the carb off, pulled it apart, cleaned it and all the jets and the needle and seat thoroughly. Put it all back together, came back next week to the same results. Off came the carb again, more cleaning, adjusted the plastic tab on the float as much as I could, reassembled and this time I just hung the carb on the studs to see if I could watch it overflow and sure enough after a few minutes I was watching gas fill it up and drip out both ends.

In addition to the things I’ve done above I changed out the fuel pump and I also happened to have one of the Amazon knockoff “Mokini” carbs that I put on to see if it overfilled and I’ll be damned, it did the same thing, gas just pouring out of it. I checked my gas cap vent and it’s ok. Even left the cap off and it still overfills. When it first started I checked the pulsar line to make sure gas wasn’t getting in to the crankcase that way and it was dry. None the less I replaced that line.

At this point what in the hell could be causing this? Obviously the first culprit would be needle and float but to have this happen on 2 carbs (the stock one just being sonically cleaned, rebuilt, and checked by Plowmans) I have to think it’s something else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and hopefully help me retain my sanity.
junx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Carb overflowing

It's gotta be building pressure somewhere and pushing it into the carb, gas tank may do that if not venting but sounds like you checked that.

Possible the fuel pump itself is leaking through and you're basically gravity feeding the carb as it sits.

Maybe just a workaround but maybe just get a $10 petcock at tractor supply. If the cart is going to be parked for a while just turn the fuel off. Worst thing that will happen is you'll forget to turn it on when you drive it, get a few hundred yards and it does because the bowl runs out of gas.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Check your float and see if it has gas inside -- see if it floats in gas.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
ssambor
Not Yet Wild

im with shepard, the float valve might work but the float itself may be shot.
ssambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Step one, trash any aftermarket parts.

Ive found only 2 items cause the issue. Carburetor 98 % of the time, or fuel pump 2% of the time. If your using aftermarket parts, all bets are off.

I do 5 to 10 a week that do that and a simple clean of the carb and reset the float and your good to go.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
junx69
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys, I just realized I never followed up on this post. I was able to fix my problem and I hope my solution might just help some folks who run in to this. So as I mentioned I had the stock carb cleaned and rebuilt by Don and Plowmans and still was having this issue with gas leaking past the needle and filling the crankcase. I was going nuts. I came across a post on a snowmobile forum that solved my issue. So the suggestion was to take a q-tip and put it in a the chuck of a drill or electric screw driver. Dip that in brass polish and gently polish the brass area down inside where the needle seats against. I did this and sure as heck if it didn't solve my problem. Maybe the seat area still had some debris after the sonic cleaning, maybe the slight polish evened out the surface. Who knows? Either way it worked so if you find yourself having this problem, give that a try.
junx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by junx69 View Post
Hey guys, I just realized I never followed up on this post. I was able to fix my problem and I hope my solution might just help some folks who run in to this. So as I mentioned I had the stock carb cleaned and rebuilt by Don and Plowmans and still was having this issue with gas leaking past the needle and filling the crankcase. I was going nuts. I came across a post on a snowmobile forum that solved my issue. So the suggestion was to take a q-tip and put it in a the chuck of a drill or electric screw driver. Dip that in brass polish and gently polish the brass area down inside where the needle seats against. I did this and sure as heck if it didn't solve my problem. Maybe the seat area still had some debris after the sonic cleaning, maybe the slight polish evened out the surface. Who knows? Either way it worked so if you find yourself having this problem, give that a try.
Interesting. Ive never had to do that, but something as small as a hair will cause the carb to leak back. Good info for sure though.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha