lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor Cart HOT WIRES! Ouch

Here's what my stock solenoid did, when I rode it hard. It wasn't designed for hard or long time riding. Golf courses are short distance, then rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (59.9 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That makes sense. So I think I may just need a new solenoid. I have replaced all the cables to 4ga and made sure everything is tight and snug. The solenoid still gets really hot after riding a few minutes straight (and the cable connected to it). Too hot to touch. So is it pretty certain that I just need a new solenoid? I would like to go with a bigger heavier duty one since I ride it a lot more than a stock one is meant for.
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have now noticed that my motor is getting really warm as well as the solenoid after only about 10 mins of hard riding. (They are both almost 40 years old.) What do you guys recommend as far as upgrading the motor and solenoid? Can you put a new upgraded motor and heavier duty solenoid in a 36 volt resistor cart?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Likely the solenoid is collateral damage. The motor has a problem causing it to draw excessive amperage. It is unable to convert all of this amperage to motion hence the heat.
For a resistor coil cart just refresh the motor, if it is salvageable. Any electric Alternator/Motor shop can do it or there are golf cart motor shops online.

Bigger aftermarket motors will draw more amperage and create heat problems for this system. A conversion to solid state would make bigger motors and higher voltage operation possible.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 AM   #15
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scottyb! So I'll plan on getting the motor refreshed/rewound, and replace the solenoid with a new one. What solenoid do you recommend? I am hard on the factory size solenoid so I was wanting one that could handle a little more. I'll be keeping this one a resistor cart for now. May convert it in a couple of years when it needs batts but it handles my needs as is for now, besides the overheating part!
Old 05-31-2018, 01:33 AM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Nice looking cart DubK. I think you may have answered your own question. You are asking a 40 year old cart to do more than it was designed to do 40 years ago. I don't think a solenoid upgrade is going to solve what is happening.

Scotty is an expert with these things. Follow his advice.

Hope this helps.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #17
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Nice looking cart DubK. I think you may have answered your own question. You are asking a 40 year old cart to do more than it was designed to do 40 years ago. I don't think a solenoid upgrade is going to solve what is happening.

Scotty is an expert with these things. Follow his advice.

Hope this helps.
Excellent point!
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #18
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ordered a new SW180 solenoid today from carts unlimited which is a much heavier duty solenoid and hopefully should fix the problem! Thinking the 40 year old factory solenoid is about to crap out on me. I will report back here after I install it. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #19
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Update: Today I installed the new SW180 solenoid from Scottyb. I had no electrical knowledge whatsoever and hardly know anything about working on carts. Went to home Depot and bought some spade terminal ends and wire cutters/crimpers, watched a YouTube tutorial on it that Scotty sent me, and went to work. Got the new solenoid on by following his instructions step by step. Had to drill another hole to get the mounting points to line up but I made it work. I changed all the battery cables, FR switch, solenoid and to the motor to new 4 gauge cables also. It fixed my overheating problem and I can ride much longer! I also gained 1 mph. Up to 14 mph! Not bad for an old 3 wheel stock resistor cart! My next step is to get the 40 year old motor refreshed/rewound for even better performance. Thank you scottyb for all you do for us newbies! And thank you everyone else who replied for all your advice on this project. Don't know what I would do without y'all!

Old 06-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

But I still see that horrible "automotive parts style" battery cable on the right side of the F&R, that type cable end is a disaster in golf carts. It will loosen over time as it "squishes", create heat, and destroy whatever terminal it is hooked to. Please do yourself a favor and get rid of any remaining cables with that type of end.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO