lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Finished with upgrades now cart won't run. Did I miss anything?

I'm such an idiot!!! I'm embarrassed to say I had the blue cables mixed up. I checked at lunchtime and when I went back through the instructions I realized I had the motor and controller blue cables crossed. I switched them and what do you know. I have motor control.... but in forward only. Reverse does nothing. So now that my confidence in my work is shot might it be one of the micro switches on the FNR that I have a few wires in the wrong place. The old FNR only had the middle micro switch with female spade connections, the others were male. On the new the first only had male and the other two had female. But the middle switch blue and black wire did not have a matching color wires to connect to.

Why are my pictures upside down?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.jpg (159.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0845.jpg (151.6 KB, 0 views)
Allmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Since I am unable to go in reverse I went a head and put the cart back on the ground and put the top back on. I stood on the platform for the rear seat and heard a clunk. I stepped back off and on again and the same thing. Clunk... I took the access panel back off and looked around for anything banging together and noticed that the new motor is hitting the shock support. Apparently this new motor is longer than the stock motor. Has anyone had an issue like this when upgrading motors? Should I start a new thread?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0846_JPG (2).jpg (141.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #13
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmanac View Post
Pretty sure I didn't. When I removed the old cables, motor and installed the new motor and cables I was very careful to use the two wrench method of tightening everything up.
I was not that sharp
BigOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like You are not done with upgrades, it may need a small lift to clear the long stack motor.

As far as Your original problem, definitely make sure the 2 wires on the swivel posts of the FNR go to Motor S1 and S2.

If they do, remove the Green and the White wires from the third micro-switch (black can stay connected) and connect them together in order to by-pass the reverse speed throttle resistor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #15
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks Sergio. I was planning on a 4" lift anyway but not quite this soon. Oh well it's pay me now or pay me later I guess. Any suggestions of a good lift kit and will I need to get longer brake lines? Both cables are going to S1 and S2 so what would have changed from the original set up that I would need to connect the green and white wires together? The FNR, speed controller and solenoid are pretty much still wired the same as the old ones. Anyway that's why you guys are the experts.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is a split between the White and Black wires with a resistor added to the Black wire, since it works with the White wire in forward, let's use it for reverse as well to eliminate a bad connection or switch.

I will let David comment on a good lift for that model cart.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #17
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

I'll try it tomorrow when I get home from work and post back. Does it matter which wire I keep plugged into the switch after splicing?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do not connect either one to the switch.

Both of those wires have 1/2" quick connectors so You can just use an ATO type automobile fuse as a jumper to connect them together.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Any particular amp ATO fuse is should use?
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is very little current flowing through those wires, so any size 1 amp or larger will do it.

if you don't have a fuse at home, just use a small piece of wire or a paper clip and some electric tape to jump the two wires together, all we are trying to do is to test the throttle signal.

If the high current cables are connected to the correct places and the solenoid is clicking when the FNR is in Reverse, the only other possible issue is the throttle signal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car