lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #1
19thHole
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2G cable upgrade

After reading just about all the battery/cable threads going I've started a 2G upgrade on my 2013 Precedent. Well a bit more than just the cable upgrade - relay/fuse panel, switch/gauge panel, light bar, not so annoying front light, reverse spotlight, horns, a Victron BMV-712 BLACK Smart Battery Monitor, USB charge point and Sergio's passive voltage bypass for my lack lustre pack (new batteries will happen soon enough but I'll just keep this pack going as long as I can).

I've already installed a reducer (5 wire blue one) with great success thanks to the detailed posts from all the gurus here and am running my light bar without issue.

I'm after advice on two points please.

Firstly, the OBC panel cover removal - I had a bit of a go lifting it out but I'm scared I'll rip a wire out from the back if I'm not careful. Is there a sequence to be done here? - other than engage Tow, disconnect battery -ve and +ve, remove the locating screw and wiggle free - only moved it a couple of inches but it seemed really tight so what else do I need to do to gain access to the OBC to do the OBC ground stud?

Second thing I'm stumped on is the other wiring I need to do to make the upgrade work properly, other than 2G cables on the pack and through the OBC. What gauge do the A1 and A2 wires need to be? What about the solenoid wires? Any others?

Made the cables using some double insulated welding cable locally produced, dual wall self adhesive shrink wrap, crimped and soldered. Came up neat enough.

Awaiting OBC stud parts and your input to finish the job.

Thanks in advance
19thHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2G cable upgrade

You do not need a stud kit if you pull the 2g wire thru the OBC and then attach the lug. (Lube may be needed)

The solenoid cables and the A1/A2's should be 2g if you plan on going bigger anytime soon.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There are 10 high amperage cables in all the cart. 11 if you use the OBC stud kit. They should all be the same size, age, and construction. The motor F1 and F2 wires are low amperage leads and they do not need up sizing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think many have installed the OBC stud kit without having to remove the OBC. My 2ga cable slipped through my OBC with a little lubricant applied. The cables from pack+ to solenoid, A1 & A2 should be 2ga as they convey full current. The F1 & F2 motor field cables can remain 10ga for the lower current.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
19thHole
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You do not need a stud kit if you pull the 2g wire thru the OBC and then attach the lug. (Lube may be needed)

The solenoid cables and the A1/A2's should be 2g if you plan on going bigger anytime soon.
Thanks. The 2G I'm using is double insulated so I'll try stripping the outer layer and see if that pushes through. I'm just getting some brass allthread for the stud kit so no great loss if I don't need it. Still unsure how to access behind the panel though.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
19thHole
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There are 10 high amperage cables in all the cart. 11 if you use the OBC stud kit. They should all be the same size, age, and construction. The motor F1 and F2 wires are low amperage leads and they do not need up sizing.
Nice one Scottyb. Access to the motor wires requires what exactly? Are we talking seat off? It's my first time but once I get it I get it.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
19thHole
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
I think many have installed the OBC stud kit without having to remove the OBC. My 2ga cable slipped through my OBC with a little lubricant applied. The cables from pack+ to solenoid, A1 & A2 should be 2ga as they convey full current. The F1 & F2 motor field cables can remain 10ga for the lower current.
Cheers Hunter. I've read that the old 6G pack cables can be used for the F1 and F2 cables. Worth doing considering I have not immediate plans to upgrade the controller?
Old 05-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19thHole View Post
Cheers Hunter. I've read that the old 6G pack cables can be used for the F1 and F2 cables. Worth doing considering I have not immediate plans to upgrade the controller?
No worthwhile reason at all to convert 10 gauge wire to 6 gauge...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not real sure if this is what your asking. But in order to access the OBC it is a lot easier to remove the middle two batteries. That way there isn't any pulling on the wires.

If you aren't upgrading the controller now you don't need to upgrade the F1 & F2 cables. But save the A1 & A2 cables incase you ever upgrade to a 500A controller. The field current on them reaches 50A so you need the larger cables.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:43 AM   #10
19thHole
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
No worthwhile reason at all to convert 10 gauge wire to 6 gauge...
Sold. Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car