lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Default Want to use my ERIC charger on my '02 Club Car. Just bypass OBC?

I have a ERIC charger that I want to use to charge my 48v 2002 Club Car which has an OBC. I saw a video on DIY Golf Carts YouTube channel and Barry made it look so simple (Clip one black wire going into OBC and connect to Negative battery 6 to bypass the OBC). Is this really all I have to do? Just wondering because I see Bypass kits for sale. I appreciate any help on this. Thank you-
Nucc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Want to use my ERIC charger on my '02 Club Car. Just bypass OBC?

Bypass kits are a waste of money. Takes all of 2 crimp conectors to properly bypass an OBC. Just depends which cart you have.

Does your cart have a Big lever for FnR, or a small rocker switch?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

I never actually bypassed the OBC on my cart, all I did was reroute the charge receptacle straight to the batteries...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Bypass kits are a waste of money. Takes all of 2 crimp conectors to properly bypass an OBC. Just depends which cart you have.

Does your cart have a Big lever for FnR, or a small rocker switch?
It's actually a Club Car DS iQ 2005. It has a rocker switch. Here are some photos. If you can describe what I need to do that would be great. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Sorry about the upside down photos.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
I never actually bypassed the OBC on my cart, all I did was reroute the charge receptacle straight to the batteries...
Just red to the 1 + and black to the 6 - ? Once bypassed I'm assuming the computer on the charger takes over as far as how it checks and charges the batts?
Old 06-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Leave Red on the pack positive where it's already connected.

Behind the OBC there's two black 10awg wires that come out of the OBC.
One comes from the charge receptacle, the other goes to the B- terminal on the controller.
Cut the two black wires a few inches from the OBC and join the two together with a yellow crimp connector, or solder/heat shrink if you prefer.

Also on back of the OBC is a 6 pin connector. Find the White and Light Blue wires. White is power going in, Light Blue is the interlock control that goes to the OBC. You just need to join those together on the cart side of the connector to give pack voltage on the Light Blue wire to disable the charge interlock in the controller.

You can use the charger interlock function of the ERIC charger if you'd like. You'll need a 10k ohm 1w resistor.
On back of the OBC is a Grey wire which comes from the Charge receptacle. Cut that off of the OBC and use the cart end as your interlock control wire.
Follow the Top diagram here:
That photo is from https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...67#post1322529 thread referencing the Lester Summit II, but the interlock function is the same for the ERIC charger.
The "Lester interlock" will be your Grey wire.
"48v from Tow/Run" is your White wire.
"Controller Interlock" is the Light Blue wire going to the controller.
Join one end of the resistor to the end of the White wire. The join the resistor, the Light Blue, and the Grey wire together.
It's usually best to solder these, but not necessary. Once everything is joined heat shrink or tape everything up to prevent corrosion and shorting against other wiring/ metal parts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
Nucc10
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Leave Red on the pack positive where it's already connected.

Behind the OBC there's two black 10awg wires that come out of the OBC.
One comes from the charge receptacle, the other goes to the B- terminal on the controller.
Cut the two black wires a few inches from the OBC and join the two together with a yellow crimp connector, or solder/heat shrink if you prefer.

Also on back of the OBC is a 6 pin connector. Find the White and Light Blue wires. White is power going in, Light Blue is the interlock control that goes to the OBC. You just need to join those together on the cart side of the connector to give pack voltage on the Light Blue wire to disable the charge interlock in the controller.

You can use the charger interlock function of the ERIC charger if you'd like. You'll need a 10k ohm 1w resistor.
On back of the OBC is a Grey wire which comes from the Charge receptacle. Cut that off of the OBC and use the cart end as your interlock control wire.
Follow the Top diagram here:
That photo is from https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...67#post1322529 thread referencing the Lester Summit II, but the interlock function is the same for the ERIC charger.
The "Lester interlock" will be your Grey wire.
"48v from Tow/Run" is your White wire.
"Controller Interlock" is the Light Blue wire going to the controller.
Join one end of the resistor to the end of the White wire. The join the resistor, the Light Blue, and the Grey wire together.
It's usually best to solder these, but not necessary. Once everything is joined heat shrink or tape everything up to prevent corrosion and shorting against other wiring/ metal parts.
Thank you very much. Great info.

Tags
2002, bypass, club car, eric charger, obc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car