lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
DAV05
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacing cables in 2005 Precedent

I own a 2005 CC Precedent and am looking into replacing the 6 ga cables with 4 ga in hopes I get some more power going up inclines. I've read this can help. I do have 23 inch tires so looking for even the slightest increase. My question is this. Looking at the cables there is a red one that seems to be the main power cable to the batteries. It seems thicker than the rest so is it already a 4 gauge? I see these complete cable kits for sale but want to avoid buying cables that I dont need.
DAV05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Replacing cables in 2005 Precedent

You will need to replace ALL 6 guage wiring with minimum 4 guage. Kit will be cheaper than buying individual cables. By adding things like lifts, large diamater tires, and anything that adds weight or wind drag to stock cart you are slowing it down and putting more strain of whole system and this in turn will shorten life of parts. Your gain in hill climbing with 4 gauge cables will be dependant on many factors so dont expect a drag racer effect with just battery cables? If you can really feel difference with large tires I will be surprised? You will gain but smaller amount compared to adding 4 guage cables, #4 setting on controller, and which HP motor updates you could get , and 8 volt batterys ( if you have 12 volts now ) would give you?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
DAV05
Not Yet Wild

Thanks and yes I understand about adding the big tires puts a strain on everything. I have seen you post about the plum quick motors before...what are your thoughts on getting the purple 225 dollar motor, would that help? Not ready to replace controller and all that, just trying to get a bit more torque.
DAV05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would call Plum Quick and talk direct to them for the straight stuff. I forget the mans name that always is so helpful on the phone but I'm sure anyone there can answer your questions. The more you give them the more able they are to advise you on best motor for your use.
Be ready with all info, make , model, complete serial number, any changes from stock now, and what you intend to add later like tires, lifts, etc to get the best choice motor. Be sure and ask about possible controller updates now or later on etc.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Forgot to mention but DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and while motor is out get a new Drive Unit Bumper CC #102235201 and lub CC #102243403 This goes inside spline in motor end and as it says is a bumper-cushion that when worn will be noisy and do use all of tube as this is correct amount, by doing this will keep motor from sticking to input shaft on differential. I HOPE YOUR ISNT STUCK ALREADY?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car