lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
bigspence
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger shuts off - Need help

I have a 2007 CC Precedent with (4) 12 volt batteries. I removed the batteries and cleaned the tub of old residue cleaned all the terminals and terminal ends. When I replaced the batteries and wiring the buggy ran fine but wouldn't charge. When I plug in the charger it comes on, hums loudly, the amperage indicator never moves and within 15 seconds the breaker on the front of the charger pops out. Any suggestions?
bigspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger shuts off - Need help

If the charger worked fine before you removed the batteries then the problem is with the install. Check the voltage at the charge receptacle to see what the charger sees. I'm thinking you may not have reconnected the charge wires correctly or burnt a fuse...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
bigspence
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. Here's some more info. The voltage @ each battery is between 12.1 and 12.2. The total system voltage between the positive of the left front battery and the negative of the right front battery (as I'm facing forward) is 49.0v. I found 2 fuses, one in a red line and one in a blue line and they both check out. When I check the voltage @ the charger plug-in I only get 38.8v. I think I have the batteries connected properly but I can't find a diagram of the 4-12v system with 2 batteries on each side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
bigspence
Not Yet Wild

More info. When looking at the charging socket the voltage between the 2 bottom holes, labeled + and -, the voltage is 38.8v. When checking from the left bottom, labeled - to the top I get 9.4v. When checking from the right bottom, labeled +, I get 47.9v. Help anyone?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
bigspence
Not Yet Wild

I tried a friends charger and it works fine. Just a coincidence that I removed and reinstalled the batteries at the same time the charger went south. Thanks all for looking.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
gadavis
Gone Wild

Sounds like your diodes are gone. You probably can smell the burnt odor if you get close to the charger.
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds like your diode tree (rectifier). It takes 5 mins to replace and is about $18.00. Take the cover off your charger and it is on the back wall. Little square with 4 wires going into it. Mark the wires and pull them off and test the rectifier with a multimeter. The sticky up top with the powerdrive book will walk you through it step by step. If its bad, go by a CC dealer and get one!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does the charger click with a metallic sound after you plug it in?
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
bigspence
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the rectifier and it works fine. You have to buy the rectifier from a CC dealer and it comes with instructions for install and heat sink paste. Thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car