lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #21
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: finally time for batteries 12V

there is also a guy on here named TahoeDawgZ71 or something to that effect. I believe he is a CC mechanic/shop foreman so he might be your best bet.
encbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
shortspark
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by encbuggy View Post
there is also a guy on here named TahoeDawgZ71 or something to that effect. I believe he is a CC mechanic/shop foreman so he might be your best bet.
Thanks, maybe some of those experts will chime in. I emailed US Battery and they replied saying the failure rate is less than 1% and chances are my cart is not charging properly. This morning I brought my charger in the dealer to have it checked out. US Battery also said they would have a technician call the dealer so maybe they will find out what is causing this problem.
shortspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #23
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
Thanks, maybe some of those experts will chime in. I emailed US Battery and they replied saying the failure rate is less than 1% and chances are my cart is not charging properly. This morning I brought my charger in the dealer to have it checked out. US Battery also said they would have a technician call the dealer so maybe they will find out what is causing this problem.
The 1% failure rate is a believable number, most replacements that people do is from misinformation or poor maintenance. I understand that you maintain your cart well so that is probably not an issue.
I can't speak specifically about which OBC board you have, TahoeDawgZ71 or some others on here have great experience in that area.
If you have all batteries failing simultaneously there has to be something more than bad batteries to blame.
CC has had issues from time to time and has changed/updated their OBC at least 3 times in the last 5 years and has had such a bad experience with the 4x12v set up they have changed back to the older 6x8v set up.
Golfing 3-4 times a week should eliminate any stratification in the batteries as they are constantly on the move and being recharged after your round would also eliminate sulfation from the equation.
The only things left are the level that your batteries are being charged to and the integrity of the service company to test your batteries and charger/OBC.
If you have a meter it would be really good to get the voltage that your bank charges to before the charger shuts off. It should be over 60v and some even reach as high as 64v.
A reading of what your battery voltage is before you start out for the day would be handy to know, confirming a full charge.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #24
shortspark
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for that information dougmcp. I remember when I first got these batteries I did a voltage test and I was somewhere around 58 (I think) on the set by going from positive at one end to negative at the other side. Not sure now how I did it but I think I got the procedure from this forum. I also think I got 13 something on each battery - if my memory serves me. I know my old obc did its diagnostic check immediately, whereas this one takes a minute or two. By that I mean the old one would cause my charger needle to go from zero all the way to the right and back to zero, then back to the right to start the charge. The one they put on last year goes to the right but stays there for a while before returning to zero and then back to start the charge. But I agree, something is causing my system not to properly charge the batteries because I can't believe I got a whole set of bad ones from US Battery.

I'll check the volts again when I get the cart back but I might get rid of it if they can not isolate the problem. I pretty much have to trade it in because if they can't find out what is wrong I'll end up destroying every battery I put it in in a year's time. I might go to a Yamaha or E-Z Go dealer and check their stuff out. I have had two new CC in the last ten years or so and both have given me a little trouble with various things. I had an E-Z Go before that that always ran like a top - no problems whatsoever. I then went with CC because the dealer moved in just two miles down the road. I have to assume both Yamaha and E-Z Go have their problems too but from what I hear from folks at my club who own them, not as bad or as often as these darn Precedents. I also assume both cost about the same as new Club Cars so I might just take a look at them this spring.
shortspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
down under
Just Don't Touch.

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
Thanks for that information dougmcp. I remember when I first got these batteries I did a voltage test and I was somewhere around 58 (I think) on the set by going from positive at one end to negative at the other side. Not sure now how I did it but I think I got the procedure from this forum. I also think I got 13 something on each battery - if my memory serves me. I know my old obc did its diagnostic check immediately, whereas this one takes a minute or two. By that I mean the old one would cause my charger needle to go from zero all the way to the right and back to zero, then back to the right to start the charge. The one they put on last year goes to the right but stays there for a while before returning to zero and then back to start the charge. But I agree, something is causing my system not to properly charge the batteries because I can't believe I got a whole set of bad ones from US Battery.

I'll check the volts again when I get the cart back but I might get rid of it if they can not isolate the problem. I pretty much have to trade it in because if they can't find out what is wrong I'll end up destroying every battery I put it in in a year's time. I might go to a Yamaha or E-Z Go dealer and check their stuff out. I have had two new CC in the last ten years or so and both have given me a little trouble with various things. I had an E-Z Go before that that always ran like a top - no problems whatsoever. I then went with CC because the dealer moved in just two miles down the road. I have to assume both Yamaha and E-Z Go have their problems too but from what I hear from folks at my club who own them, not as bad or as often as these darn Precedents. I also assume both cost about the same as new Club Cars so I might just take a look at them this spring.
Shortspark, Hope they sort this out,I did not mention Tahoedawg,as he is generally on the hop from one place to another,but if your lucky to catch him,he is a wealth of knowledge,also Doug you have been talking to,can't go wrong with that lot.It's strange but out here we steer away from precedent and stay out of trouble.
down under is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car