lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
mustangless
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Almost new cables, melting problems

I got a new set of 4awg cables a few months ago . Cart had more power after putting them on (old ones were totally junk), but I started smelling a burning odor. Did not think about it again until I was hill climbing yesterday and started smelling it again. Found a hot cable, and then noticed it was melted.

It is a short cable that runs from the motor to the controller. The controller end is fine, but the motor end is melted about 2" up the cable. Should I look for a problem before I replace the cable?

Btw: I have a couple extra cables, but they are 1' too long. Would it be safe to use that, or should I get the right size?
mustangless is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: Almost new cables, melting problems

My guess U have automotive type 4 Gauage , U need High AMP welding cables to handle amp draws up to 300-400 . The higher the thread count the better. Many of the site sponsors sell them !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

[QUOTE=mustangless;524146]I have a couple extra cables, but they are 1' too long. Would it be safe to use that,QUOTE]

YES. If these are used cables they will work for now, replace with a new one later. Keep your cables clean tight or this will happen again.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
rib33024

When changing the cables on the motor, make sure you use two wrenches, one on the nut at the motor, and one on the nut on top of the cable, make sure the one at the motor does NOT turn
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
mustangless
Getting Wild
Club Car

They are new cables from one of the site sponsors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
When changing the cables on the motor, make sure you use two wrenches, one on the nut at the motor, and one on the nut on top of the cable, make sure the one at the motor does NOT turn
Guess that is where I messed up.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post

That's what I was thinking as I read this was the housing stud is loose generating heat.
What kind of 4ga cable are you using? where'd they come from?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangless View Post
Guess that is where I messed up.
if the connections on the outside of the motor are tight, then you could have partially twisted off the copper wire welded to the non-visible end of the bolt. this is repairable, but not much fun.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
mustangless
Getting Wild
Club Car

I think this is where I ordered from
http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-202...cable-kit.aspx

I learned after trying to put them on I have a regen cart, that is why I have extra cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
if the connections on the outside of the motor are tight, then you could have partially twisted off the copper wire welded to the non-visible end of the bolt. this is repairable, but not much fun.
-sj
are you saying I might have damage inside the motor?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Do U see any damage (arching) on the the lugs where the cables fasten to the motor.
Then yes it's possible.
As suggested above , use 2 wrenches when tightening the motor cables.
Was the melted cable one going to the motor , or someplace else ?

It does not take a lot of arching to melt something at 300-400 amps , this is a big welder.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangless View Post
are you saying I might have damage inside the motor?
possibly. if only one lug is getting hot, and that lug is properly crimped and fastened tight to the stud, then problem is likely on the other side of the stud. (ie: inside the the motor)

check out the photo below for an example... notice how the wire to the top stud has bent, breaking the weld and is barely hanging on? that little bit of connection left is enough to allow the motor to function, but passing a couple hundred amps through that tiny connection causes massive amounts of heat because a couple hundred amps exceeds the amp carrying capability of the damaged joint. hope that makes sense...

again, if everything is tight and proper on the outside and heating is localized to that one joint, its time to look inside.

image source: http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/...p?f=15&t=52823
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MosterKartOldMotor3.JPG (99.8 KB, 75 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car