lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Terminology

the main issue is with the plastic insulator; its garbage! it gets brittle and eventually shatters, allowing for the bolt to spin which then shears off the copper wire welded to the end of the bolt. anywho, heres a picture of what happens when you spin the bolt.

sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #22
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

sonic, I just left my local cart supply store and he showed me the exact same thing, without the motor housing. Based on what he told me, I think I may at a minumum have damaged the insulator (if it wasn't already damaged before I touched it), but hopefully didn't turn it far enough to seperate the bolt from the copper wire. I bought a new terminal connector I am going to install tonight, so I'll know soon enough what, if any, damange I've done.
Rammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammer View Post
sonic, I just left my local cart supply store and he showed me the exact same thing, without the motor housing. Based on what he told me, I think I may at a minumum have damaged the insulator (if it wasn't already damaged before I touched it), but hopefully didn't turn it far enough to seperate the bolt from the copper wire. I bought a new terminal connector I am going to install tonight, so I'll know soon enough what, if any, damange I've done.
Oh and by the way U got the nut off ???????????
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #24
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

No, couldn't get it off. Added a third nut, but twisted the bolt even more tightening the third nut and actually felt a pop. So cart is going to shop in morning. :cry. I thought I was ok for a minute when I reconnected the battery and switched to run, hit the pedal and got the batt light to come on a min and then nothing.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #25
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

crapp dude , thought we had it , ohhhh well !
Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #26
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

Yea, I sure was hoping so. I figured I was in trouble when it popped. Oh well. Thanks again for all your help!!! I will update after I get it back from the shop. Still have yet to ride the dang thing!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #27
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ok, finally an update! I picked the cart up from the shop yesterday and as expected - I broke the "bushing" and "insulator" on that one post on top of the motor on the passenger side. So, new busing, insulator and post and she's running like a top! Even got to drive her for the first time. I even picked up a few "accessories" while I was there. I plan to do before and after pics and post up later.

Now for the new "issue" - the shop mechanic pointed out that both of the u bolts that hold the rear axle to the rear springs are loose (still not sure why he just didn't tighten them for me) and as a result, when applying the brakes, the brakes will lock up due to the cable being stretched too far as the axle/rear end is actaully "moving". He said I should be able to just simply tighten those u bolts and the axle will not move as it's supposed to; therefore, the brake cable won't stretch further than it's supposed to and I should be fine. However, it that doesn't fix it, he said he has a cable extender he could sell me that would fix it. Any tips, do's, dont's, beware of's when tightening those u bolts. I actaully bought two brand new u bolts because the existing two look pretty bad. It doesn't look like much to do, (but neither did that motor post ) so I'd thought I'd ask before putting a wrench on it. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #28
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Its a little harder to ring a U bolt into , go for it !
Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #29
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
Its a little harder to ring a U bolt into , go for it !
So, pretty much a simple swap, huh?

Hopefully, even I won't manage to screw it up!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Careful ~ We have already seen the damage you can do over tightening things on the cart... the leaf spring U bolts are no exception snug them up then go just a half to 1 turn more. NOT as tight as you possibly can.... I have seen this result in broken U bolts just a few months down the road.

Over tightening stuff is a rookie mistake. Judge the size of the nut or bolt and apply pressure accordingly. 90% of amateur mechanics over tighten everything.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car