lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: A-arm lift vs Spindle Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
You're still going to have to deal with alignment/toe no matter what you go with. There's no advantage to replacing parts for the sake of replacing them. If there is nothing wrong with the parts that are left in place with a spindle lift, then there is no issue. I have a Jake's 6" spindle lift on mine and I installed it myself, as in alone, with no help. It would be an even easier install with an extra pair of hands, especially on the rear end, but it's not a difficult install at all. I have 23" tires and have plenty of clearance even with 4 people on the cart, with stock rear springs. It rides great and looks good. I wasn't looking for anything for any heavy duty use. We ride the cart around our neighborhood and we use it to cruise around campgrounds. Works perfectly fine for all of those uses.
SaltLifeCC,

Thanks so much for the feedback. That helps me in my decisionmaking. By the way you have a cool looking Precedent.

ZackMan

ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
SaltLifeCC,

Thanks so much for the feedback. That helps me in my decisionmaking. By the way you have a cool looking Precedent.

ZackMan

I have a very similar setup to salt's. Except, I have the 3" jakes lift and 20" tires. I also have no issue with the original leaf spring sagging with a loaded cart
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
I have a very similar setup to salt's. Except, I have the 3" jakes lift and 20" tires. I also have no issue with the original leaf spring sagging with a loaded cart
Stevec3201,

Thanks for your response as well. I will probably end up installing a 3" Lift Kit and either 20 or 22 inch tires. It is good to learn that HD rear leaf springs may not be necessary.

ZackMan

Old 10-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
Stevec3201,

Thanks for your response as well. I will probably end up installing a 3" Lift Kit and either 20 or 22 inch tires. It is good to learn that HD rear leaf springs may not be necessary.

ZackMan

zach, if you want 22" tires, you may want to consider a 6" lift. I wouldn't put 22" tires on my cart, as that is cutting it kinda close If your rear spring feels stiff, you are probably okay with it. Do that later, if you have to. Don't forget the left rear brake cable may be an issue. The worst case: Install a right rear brake cable on the left side
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
zach, if you want 22" tires, you may want to consider a 6" lift. I wouldn't put 22" tires on my cart, as that is cutting it kinda close If your rear spring feels stiff, you are probably okay with it. Do that later, if you have to. Don't forget the left rear brake cable may be an issue. The worst case: Install a right rear brake cable on the left side
Stevec3201,

Thanks for the expedient response. I was reading a site sponsor's website and there was a reference to the fact that it's okay to use up to 22" tires with their 3 inch lift kit. The wheel offset was 3X5. 20" for tires seems quite enough though.

ZackMan
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Zack, I would think 3" is 3" no matter whose lift kit you buy and putting 22's on that is a stretch. Jakes recommends 20" tires on a 3" lift and 22" tires on a 6" lift. However, plenty of us have fit 23" tires on the 6" lift and been okay. I had no issue with the brake cable either. Everything I needed, other than tools and a grease gun, was in the box for the lift kit. I was warned about the HD springs but decided to wait and see if I needed them - and so far I don't. With that said, it would be much easier to install the new springs when you install the lift kit. You mentioned towing a trailer - you may want to consider how much weight that might put on your rear end as opposed to rear passengers. You may find the springs are a good investment.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Zack, I would think 3" is 3" no matter whose lift kit you buy and putting 22's on that is a stretch. Jakes recommends 20" tires on a 3" lift and 22" tires on a 6" lift. However, plenty of us have fit 23" tires on the 6" lift and been okay. I had no issue with the brake cable either. Everything I needed, other than tools and a grease gun, was in the box for the lift kit. I was warned about the HD springs but decided to wait and see if I needed them - and so far I don't. With that said, it would be much easier to install the new springs when you install the lift kit. You mentioned towing a trailer - you may want to consider how much weight that might put on your rear end as opposed to rear passengers. You may find the springs are a good investment.
SaltLifeCC,

Thanks. I have decided to install 20s and will forego the HD leafs for now. Will the stock engine (IQ 3.3 hp) and controller be okay with a 3" lift? I'm using it for when we camp with the RV. There may be some hills to traverse depending on the campground or resort.

ZackMan
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #18
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Sure, it will be okay. Actually you'll find the cart will be a little faster on the bigger tires. That won't help it on hills, necessarily, though. I live and typically camp in very flat areas so I don't have a lot of experience with hills related to what the cart will and won't do. I do know that the guy that bought my old gasser bought it because his electric cart wasn't cutting it on the hills where he camps and gas carts were allowed there. In any case, your performance on hills shouldn't be cut short because of 20" tires, it just probably won't help it.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #19
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Sure, it will be okay. Actually you'll find the cart will be a little faster on the bigger tires. That won't help it on hills, necessarily, though. I live and typically camp in very flat areas so I don't have a lot of experience with hills related to what the cart will and won't do. I do know that the guy that bought my old gasser bought it because his electric cart wasn't cutting it on the hills where he camps and gas carts were allowed there. In any case, your performance on hills shouldn't be cut short because of 20" tires, it just probably won't help it.
SaltLifeCC,

Thanks for the timely feedback. It is much appreciated.

ZackMan
Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #20
yellj
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

There have been several posts that have intimated their cart goes faster with bigger tires, don't quite get that. If anything I would think they might slow a bit,because of the the increased rolling friction to get a bigger wheel started and the increased friction because of larger surface area of the tire, help me understand.
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car