lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
william myers
Not Yet Wild

Default Pros and Cons for owning A Gas or Electric

I am in the market for a cart and would love some input from people who have owned both or would just love to boast about there cart... i dont know the pro's and con's between gas or electric, (36 or 48 volt) ... any help would be greatly appreciatted.. and i will post pics of the rig as soon as i buy it and the modifications begin! thanks
william myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Pros and Cons for owning A Gas or Electric

Well my opinion is:

Fill it with gas and ride ride ride, however the cold starts with gas engines you don't have with electric.

Electric you have to charge the batteries, and yes if you keep it long enough you will feel it when you buy new ones, if you forget to charge you don't ride, however when you hit the go pedal its instant power no cold starts.

Just my 2 cents, if you build electric I would try and go with 48 volt
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
bud light
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Had electric (sucks)
Have gas will travel and its great.
Don't have to wonder about running down the batteries before you get were you need to be.
Will not have another electric unless it is free.
My dollars worth.
bud light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've helped friends out with both gas and electric, I have a lifted 36v EZGO that drives down to the beach in the morning and comes home at supper time. You can find lots of opinions about the pros and cons of each type, the real issue is what do YOU! want. Gas carts need gas and periodic maintenance, electric carts need a little more TLC if you want to make the batteries last. A new gas motor will cost as much or more than a replacement set of batteries, but they tend to last longer than batteries too. Some hunters like a quiet cart that gets them out to the field without being heard. Some communities have rules against gas carts. On really rough terrain, or long running periods, a gas cart cant be beat. Both can be modified to run fast or climb hills or drag deer out of the woods. Whatever you decide to buy, have fun and make it your favorite vehicle to drive!! Oh, don't forget to post some pictures too!!
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Pros and Cons for owning A Gas or Electric

Just like Chevy Ford. There all good and bad!

Most campground in the southeast don't allow gas, well at Myrtle Beach SC anyway. I perfer electric myself but I have never owned a gas so it sorta hrd to say one way or the other.

Like a Ford I never own one and it want ever happen.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have both, 4 club cars 48 volt elect, and 2 gas ezgos, sometimes you want smooth and quiet, sometimes there is no elect outlet to recharge. Gas are easyer to make quicker, just adjust the governer (you can readjust when you loan your cart to kids). Sparkys are more money to make go faster (controlers/motor upgrades = lots of bucks) Elect you don't have to choke and warm up before driving, If you go gas you want a 4 stroke, no gas mixing and quieter, Elect have more tork, good for hooking up to heavy trailers and moving around.
Pretty much "you can't have you cake and eat it to".
rmarcusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

I smell a HYBRID!! runs on both. We could call it FuElec??
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm on my second electric cart and really chose it partially for budget and availability, but there are some aspects of electric I like a lot. Gas are harder to find used around here and much more expensive. I love gas engines in anything, but I love the instant power and quietness of the electric. TLC for the batteries doesn't bother me as I like tinkering with stuff. As for regular golf cart gassers, I don't like the way they start off, and having to monkey with them at super low speeds when backing, parking etc. but that is just a personal preference.

If I were making lots of long runs, especially in deep sand or really rough terrain, I would have looked for a gas cart. But, since I don't, electric suits me perfectly. I will do a little hunting with mine and where I go electric still does the job, especially at night for a little spotlighting. With that said, if they made a powerful and super quiet gas engine I'd be all over it. It really comes down to how and where you will use it, and how much you want to spend.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Electrics downfall is battery replacement-cost.Yes you can get great deals on used carts,but then you run the risk of dropping $600+ on batteries.Gassers are not allowed on most resorts/campgrounds.I would much rather have a gasser,but thats just my preference.So it kinda comes down to what you can afford and what your application is.Apples to Apples,The motor/controller mods are comparable in pricing to a V-Twin conversion-kit and the mods that go with it.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i have both......bottom line is where and how your gonna drive it...........elec if you like quiet and want to ride with a full cover without the fumes from gas killing you and if you do take care of batteries it may be 8 to 10 years between sets..........its limited as far as run time,.........gas yeah you can drive all day but depending on road surface they suck alot of dirt into the system and there are many more parts to be concerned with..........and with the price of parts now for gas carts batteries arn,t all that bad every 8 years.................its really a crap shoot cause whats good for one may not be for another................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car