lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #21
TidePride50
Not Yet Wild

The cart is running fine now, I just haven't been able to charge it because of the code I'm getting when it's plugged in.

RTR '12!
TidePride50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
TidePride50
Not Yet Wild

Me again guys. Looks like I'm in the market for a new charger. I tried mine right before I tried a different charger just to see and no lights came on and I couldn't hear it click on. Seemed to be dead. Previously it would click on but would give me two blinking red lights. I borrowed a friends and plugged it in and it clicked on and the needle shot up like it was charging. I assume it was charging. It's a different model charger power-wise. It has a needle meter, where mine is a power-wise QE with just a circle LED that indicates charging or error. Is it okay to use this charger? His cart is also a 36v EZGO with same plug so I thought it would be fine.

This last stretch if trouble I've had the whole time the cart has run fine, I just kept getting the two light error and it wouldn't charge. If it is the charger is there something I could check before trashing it for a new one?

RTR '12!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
TidePride50
Not Yet Wild

I was just fooling around with mine and if you wiggle the plug a bit while plugged in it will click on but still get the two red flashes pause repeat. When you plug in the one I borrowed it clicks on and the needle goes up as if charging.

I took a couple pics of mine so if any of you experts see anything out of ordinary.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358824867.790837.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358824883.487375.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358824912.335096.jpg

RTR '12!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 EZGO Problem

The first picture shows that the Reed switch has been eliminated.
It also shows some female Radsoks the need to be cleaned.

The second picture show male Radsoks the need to be cleaned and the Auxiliary contact probably does also.

The third picture shows new interconnecting cables on battery terminals the need to be cleaned and battery tops that need to be cleaned.

------------
This is the charger I use.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
TidePride50
Not Yet Wild

Believe it or not, all of that was just cleaned with baking soda and a toothbrush recently. The stuff you see on the battery us remnants of baking soda that I just didn't get to wash off with the hose because I was inside the carport doing it so I just wiped it down as best I could. Is there anything else you would suggest to use to clean and also something that would help with battery corrosion? I'm still getting the two blinking read lights on my charger, Power-wise QE. The charger I borrowed seemed to be charging as it was supposed to. The meter slowly went down as it charged last night.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The battery connections corrode because they are being exposed to acidic vapors released from the batteries during the charge. So apply anything that will keep the air from contacting the connections. I have seen everything from grease to spray paint successfully used. I prefer an application of dielectric grease or synthetic lube.

Since the borrowed charger works fine it looks like you probably need a charger. Try wedgin your plug up or down with a cardboard shim shoved under it .... if the charger works you may need new radsoks.

Don't get the same one you have. They have a very high failure rate.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

SWAMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) makes me take the cart to a shady spot under a pine tree where no grass grows to clean the batteries.

I mix my baking soda solution a bit on the strong side (1 tablespoon per quart of distilled water), so it leaves quite a bit of white residue if not thoroughly rinsed off.

I found some toothbrush sized soft wire brushes (both brass and SS wires) that work well for the cable lugs and battery terminals. (Gun cleaning supplies at Wal-Mart)

If the tops are still look white after they dry, I spray them with distilled water with a little Dawn dish-washing liquid in it and brush them with a small scrub brush while rinsing. (About 1/2 Teaspoon Dawn per quart of distilled water)

After cleaning and drying, apply a battery terminal protectorate or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the exposed metal of the cable lugs and battery terminals.

------------
The male Radsoks and the Auxiliary contact in the charger plug can be cleaned with a Scoth-Brite pad or steel wool.
Same with the outside of the female Radsoks in the carts charger receptacle, however cleaning the inside is trickier.
I haven't tried it, but someone here said they used a .22 cal bore brush.
What I do is spray them with contact cleaner and connect/disconnect the charger plug several times whit they are still damp.

---------------
The Ammeter slowly going down on the borrowed charger is a good sign it is charging the batteries.
Another way of checking to see if the batteries are charging is to monitor the pack voltage.
It should climb fairly rapidly from whatever it was when charger was plugged in, to about 40V and then climb more slowly to about 42V, at which point the gassing should become noticeable. While gassing, it will slowly climb into the 44V to 46V range and the charge will shut off automatically.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
TidePride50
Not Yet Wild

I cleaned the Radsoks on the plug and socket real good with a toothbrush and baking soda tonight and still a no go on my QE. The two red blinks are still there. However, the cart ran really good tonight and the borrowed charger seems to be working just fine. Should I try replacing the plug or testing it before I scrap it? How do I go about testing the plug?

RTR '12!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Borrowed charger works.... Try your charger on the friends cart if it fails to charge his cart... Replace the charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #30
Bud Man
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My mother in laws QE did the same thing I ended up having to replace it, I'm just waiting for mine to bite the dust as it is also a QE.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO