lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
CCW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1998 EZ-Go Series TXT with new Alltrax & F&R wont move in Reverse

Upon installing the new heavy duty F&R switch from ScottyB, I have forward but no reverse. Where can I get a diagram to double check my connections?

Afterward, I also went ahead and installed the Alltrax 400a controller and solenoid and it yielded the same results. The solenoid clicks, the F&R switch beeps and green LED on the controller works in forward and reverse, but the cart will not move in reverse.

Could it be in the programming of the controller? Please give me something to look for.
CCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 EZ-Go Series TXT with new Alltrax & F&R wont move in Reverse

I doubt there is a controller program issue. Give your order # and I will look at it. Here is the cable diagram for the controller in a TXT
It could be your shift linkage... remove the linkage and shift the F&R with a 9/16th wrench on the front side, still no reverse?
Both the controller and the F&R were bench tested before they shipped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AXE-Series-Cable-install-diagram.jpg (44.7 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
CCW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Now the cart has nothing in front or reverse and the solenoid doesn't click at all like it did before. Is there a fuse that could be blown between the key switch and the solenoid?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes this is the solenoid activation circuit, see fuse at the charge receptacle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Series solenoid activation diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
CCW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I see no fuse at the charging receptacle. Should there be voltage at the solenoid or controller with the key on, in forward gear and pedal pressed? If so, which terminals should I check for voltage while the pedal is pressed? Because right now, there is no voltage on any terminals with the pedal depressed so I dont even know where to start diagnosing.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Start at the back of the charge receptacle and follow the red line, that is the path of the positive solenoid activation circuit. Verifying the circuit is good should be easy with a meter. connect the black lead to the battery main - and check for 36v+ at all the points on the diagram to the solenoid.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
CCW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, the reed switch was the culprit and has been temporarily bypassed so now back to the original problem...

Again, key on, in reverse (BEEP BEEP BEEP), pedal slightly depressed, solenoid clicks, green LED on Alltrax illuminates but no reverse movement regardless of how far pedal is depressed. All connections are tight and cam seems to be engaging evenly. When I check voltage on the F&R lugs in forward, I get steady voltage increase as the pedal is depressed more. When switched to reverse, I get nothing.

FWIW, the small orange wire is connected to Pin 4 on the controller.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW View Post
Ok, the reed switch was the culprit and has been temporarily bypassed so now back to the original problem...

Again, key on, in reverse (BEEP BEEP BEEP), pedal slightly depressed, solenoid clicks, green LED on Alltrax illuminates but no reverse movement regardless of how far pedal is depressed. All connections are tight and cam seems to be engaging evenly. When I check voltage on the F&R lugs in forward, I get steady voltage increase as the pedal is depressed more. When switched to reverse, I get nothing.

FWIW, the small orange wire is connected to Pin 4 on the controller.
Dis connect the orange wire at controller pin #4. Since the problem is only in reverse I think we have to suspect the F&R. Remove the F&R shift linkage. with the cart up on blocks, shift the F&R with a 9/16ths wrench on the front side. Be sure it is going all the way into F and R.
Attach a digital voltmeter to the battery pack mains and let us know what the pack reads at rest and what it drops to when you go in forward and what it drops to when you try to go in reverse. Are you certain the solenoid is clicking in both F&R everytime?
Is the controller giving a solid green light at half throttle and an orange light at full throttle?
Please answer all of these questions.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
CCW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Havent had a chance to perform all the steps listed Scotty but I did put her on the charger for a day to obtain max pack voltage. It now moves in reverse but very slow. Can this be electronically adjusted?

On a side note , this thing is a beast on a rutted hill climb with the Alltrax 4855, 2 gauge cables, HD FR and HD Solenoid.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Disconnect the orange wire from the #4 post on the controller to eliminate 1/2 power reverse. Tape the wire up and tie it up out of the way. Keep us posted
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO