lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
zoomee
Not Yet Wild

Default 72 volt AC

Just got a new Bad Boy Instinct. The regen feature is locked at the OEM level and is set way too high (back tires locked up and got sideways going down a steep hill). If I buy a OEM programmer (Curtis) can I set the regen feature at a lower level? Anybody have any experience with Curtis programmer 1311?
zoomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
zoomee
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 72 volt AC

FYI- Bad Boy was bought by EZ-GO a few years ago and use a lot of similar parts. That's why I posted this in this forum.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
TheAspec
Gone Wild

Save some money and rent the programmer to try this - $30 per month. Google "Curtis Programmer Rental" and you'll find it. I would post a link but I don't know if it's allowed.

Last edited by TheAspec; 03-27-2013 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: typo
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Dadog70
Getting Wild

Club Car

Yes you can turn the regen braking down to almost nothing that is how my controller is set.
Dadog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
zoomee
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply guys. I had a EZ-GO with an Alltrax controller in my previous hunting buggy. I set the regen/brake current at 80% and flipped it going down a hill (wheels locked up and got sideways). Scared the **** out of me because my youngest son was in the cart with me. After that disaster, I reprogrammed it to around 40%.

Interested in anybody that has any experience with the new Instinct and Curtis 1236 controller. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The dealer can't turn it down ? I would think if you just bought it they would
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
zoomee
Not Yet Wild

Nope...locked at the OEM level.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
KLA
Getting Wild

Interesting, because I am currently working on a very similar AC setup for mine (but only 48V). The fixed regen/brake setting bothers me though. So I started to make a little "pre-controller" using a small microprocessor. I also added a micro-switch to my brake-pedal to have brake-lights and as "brake input" for the pre-controller.

The Curtis controller has a 0-5V input for variable brake/regen capability according to its docs.

The microprocessor is programmed to do the following:
It measures (and stores internally) the speed of the car (motor speed) when the throttle transitions to idle, or when the brake- light goes off. Motor speed is measured by tapping into its speed sensor.
While the throttle is idle, and no brake applied (brake-light switch off), it applies regen-braking via the 0-5V variable brake/regen input of the Curtis controller such that that stored speed is not exceeded. Basically a speed-hold downhill at whatever last speed reached with the throttle or brake applied.
When the brake-light is on, it applies a fixed regen/braking setting, at least until I figure out a way to sense brake-pedal force. With that I could use the regen feature as a real "brake booster".

On level ground no regen is applied when the brakes are not used. No sense having to keep the throttle in close to my stopping point and then decelerate with regen to a stop. After all, regen would recover only part of the energy wasted by keeping on the throttle.

If I want to stop faster on level ground, I can always just tap the brake pedal to engage the brake-light-switch, but not enough to get the brake shoes in contact with the drum. This way I can control regen there as well.

Does that make sense?
KLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad boy, curtis controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO