lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
leonlem
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ GO 48 volt conversion help.

I have been working on upgrading my 36 volt golf cart for the past week, and I have gotten some much needed advice and help from some regulars here.

I have installed a new super duty F/R switch and Super Duty solenoid, as well as new 4 gauge cables, all from Scotty B at Carts Unlimited. I already had an Alltrax 400 watt AXE controller, and my motor is on the way back from being upgraded by Plum Quick. My goal was to convert to 48 volts the next time I needed batteries.

I looked at my batteries this afternoon, and three of them are leaking around the top edge! I guess I will need to bite the bullet and buy new batteries and a charger now and finish the conversion.

My question is, what else do I need to complete this conversion, and what are the best 8 volt batteries on the market, for the money?

I was hoping not to spend so much now, but I'm to far gone now!
leonlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
jsikes06
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZ GO 48 volt conversion help.

I got 6 8volt crown 165 batteries for about 100dollars less than they wanted for Trojan 875's. Everything thing I've read crown, Trojan, and us batteries are the best brands
jsikes06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
B.Roussel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have 6 8volt US batteries and I like them. As far as the 48v conversion, as long as you have a controller and solenoid that is compatible with 48v, the upgraded F&R switch, upgraded cables, and of course a 48v charger then you should be good to go. I think that's about it but if I forgot something I'm sure someone will chime in.
B.Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

470 ohm resister. If you have a 36v specific SOC meter, you will have to do something about that.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Remember when looking at batteries amp hour rating is key.
There is a noticeable difference between 165 and 190 amp hours
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
leonlem
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Remember when looking at batteries amp hour rating is key.
There is a noticeable difference between 165 and 190 amp hours
Scotty,
You seem like one of, if not the most knowledgeable, helpful guys here. If you were in my shoes, what would you buy? I am not that familiar with all of the brands out there. I have had two sets of batteries since I have owned this cart, and they have both been Trojan T105s. This second set only lasted 31/2 years, so I am not that impressed! Some of that may be my fault for not being dillligent enough with maintenance, but I have learned a lot lately about how important that can be!

That being said, I feel like part of the issue is that the batteries are used in a cart that is primarily being used as a hunting buggy, in mainly off-road situations. Three of my current batteries are leaking from numerous spots around the top edge. Almost like it is separating from the bottom. Are there any brands out there that are known for being able to handle the vibration of that kind of use, better than any others?
I am willing to pay for a higher amp hour, more rugged battery, if there is such a thing!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's a good question for the general population. They have more collective off road experience than any one person. I never had an case separation issues. Are you batteries tied down solid?

T105 is still a top of the line battery - better yet is the T145
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
leonlem
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes they are strapped down well. I am not really ruling Trojan out, but just wondering what anyone else's experiences with that are? I would need the 8 volt model of whatever brand I go with.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

For what it is worth, I am doing the same thing and I am heavily leaning toward the Crown CR190. I would love to have the Trojan Ranger 160, but can not seem to find them for less than $200 a piece. I can get the Crown for $125.
hookemtx120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
LeonLem1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I had never heard of Crowne batteries until just recently. From what I can tell, they seem to be a top brand and highly thought of. I may end up going that way as well. I just need to find out if there are any dealers in my area.
LeonLem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO