lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can't get 82 Gas to start

Now that I've had breakfast, it's time to sit down and think this through. The tons of smoke is really bothering me.

Smoke is caused by too much oil compared to fuel, and air. It's not burning at an efficient ratio. 128:1 is one ounce of oil to one gallon of gas. There really isn't much adjustment on the carburetor, so I'm confident that you have the fuel/oil mixture right. That leaves us with air.
It sounds like it isn't moving enough air to breathe properly. Now we have to figure out why it isn't breathing.
Four possible causes off the top of my head. Clogged air filter, clogged exhaust, worn seals, and piston in backwards.

The air filter is really easy to check. Clogged muffler, and piston can be checked at the same time. Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the muffler, and see if it runs any better. Then disconnect at the cylinder so you can look into the exhaust port at the piston. You should not see a square hole in the piston.

If you are satisfied after doing all of that, run it while on jacks, and spray some starting fluid on the crankshaft seals. If the speed picks up, you have worn seals.

Do you see how I am really pushing you to remove that exhaust?

EDIT: We also like to see pictures.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
dysfunkshun
Not Yet Wild

It didn't come with an air filter on it when I bought it, but I'm gonna pick one up this weekend, I just wanted to make sure it fired first. I took the exhaust off and peeked in there, didn't appear to see a square hole in the piston, so I guess that's good! The previous owner told me it could never climb, but would do 15mph or so on flat land. I attached a few pics of the engine, and my look at the piston, let me know if anything seems amiss!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0031.jpg (90.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0030.jpg (67.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0029.jpg (81.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0028.jpg (184.3 KB, 0 views)
dysfunkshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

If the engine seems to be able to get plenty of rpms then the clutch could be slipping. Measure the width of the belt.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The carb overflow tube is connected to the old oiler banjo. That thing should be air tight.

Remove the banjo, and stick a metric 6x1 mm screw in there. The overflow tube doesn't connect to anything.

I also see that your piston looks good, and new. I'm assuming that you moved it up and down while looking at it. The exhaust port looks clean. I'll dig through my pictures to show how the throttle is hooked up.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I couldn't get a good look at how yours is hooked up, but this is how it is supposed to be. Notice the spring on the end of the cable. That makes sure that the throttle plate closes all the way, and prevents backfiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg open throttle.jpg (263.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg closed throttle.jpg (208.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
dysfunkshun
Not Yet Wild

I can tell you right away, I know my throttle cable isn't set up like that! The PO had it ran through the front and looped back through with a set screw, not the fancy spring assisted one you have though. As for the overflow tube, yeah, I'm an idiot...but I attached a pic of what my set screw kinda looks like. I also noticed your adjustment screw looks like its out farther than mine, I found tips on here to tighten it all the way, then back it out 1 1/2 turns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1513.jpg (180.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #17
dysfunkshun
Not Yet Wild

So I took the drive clutch apart today and it's completely shot. Would I be best to just replace it with an oem or spend a couple extra dollars and score a comet 780? Would I need the comet driven clutch to match?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #18
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I couldn't say one way or the other about clutches.

Would you say that the engine is now running properly?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Post 12, Image 4. I am almost positive that you have the wrong piston in there. It looks to me that I can see the bottom of a very short skirt. The bottom of the piston should never allow the crankcase to be exposed to the exhaust port. This would cause all the issues you are experiencing (no power and a lot of smoke). Compare your piston to the correct part here.
http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/...at=ezgo_engine

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Good eye, Dave. I wondered why he was only showing a picture of the top half of the piston. That's why I said that I assumed he moved it up and down to see the entire thing.

I didn't realize that he was showing the entire piston.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO