lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
NewCam
Not Yet Wild

Default '95 DS with no reverse

I just bought a 95 DS Club Car with the 48v system at a farm auction. It wasn't working, but I got it cheap. After checking it out, I was surprised to find the batteries in good shape. I replaced all the battery cables, and had to buy a new speed controller. The cart moves forward nicely, but wont move in reverse at all. The solenoid clicks, but no movement. When I checked the resistance at the speed controller terminals in reverse, I have 10k resistance, and when I depress the pedal completely it goes down to 5k. In forward the resistance goes from 5k ohms down to a few hundred. I assume I am missing something simple here. I know there is a 5.1k resister in the reverse half-speed limit switch, but I don't understand how it can work like this, when its a 5k-0 ohms input required for the speed controller. Any help would be appreciated here.
NewCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '95 DS with no reverse

Check the wires in the FNR switch, you most likely have 2 of them in the wrong position.

The 3 wire throttle works in a voltage divider mode, so the additional resistor introduced by the reverse microswitch reduces the maximum voltage as seen by pin #3 in the controller.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
NewCam
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Sergio

All wires seem correct and connections clean and tight. I replaced the original speed controller (Curtis 1204-410) with a new one (Curtis 1204M-5301). The new controller just uses 2 wire 5k-0 ohms for input control. If I understand you, the old controller didn't use that for input and instead used voltage? If that is the case, could I not just replace the 5.1k ohm resister at the microswitch with a 2.5k resister to get half speed in reverse?

Thx again,

Cam
Old 11-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

IF Your controller now is setup for a 2 wire 5k-0Ω rheostat, You are correct about the half-speed resistor value being too high.

I would go with a 2kΩ resistor 1/4watt, but You can just jump the green wire with the white wire on micro switch #3 for now to see if it runs in reverse (full speed).

You also need to disconnect the purple wire (and tape it) coming from your Multi-Step or variable potentiometer at the controller B-.

Edit: Wiring the 1/2 speed this way (with a resistor in series) will give you half the pedal travel with no movement and then 0-1/2 speed on the 2nd half of the pedal travel. I would just leave it a full speed reverse.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
NewCam
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: '95 DS with no reverse

I switched the wires on the microswitch, and it ran fine in reverse. I have removed the purple wire completely from the wiring harness (I hate having extra wires that aren't hooked to anything). I will make a little jumper wire to go from the green wire to the white wire, and bypass the microswitch completely.

Thanks for clearing things up for me Sergio
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car