lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #1
bassfisherman1_2015
Not Yet Wild

Default any help appreciated

yesterday i switched out cables on my 2000 club car ds 48volt, well of course i didnt know the ground cable ran threw that box ( obc??) so what i did was just left that cable loose and hanging from the controller and the battery, i hooked the 2 gauge cable to the battery and went around the (obc?) to the controller, my question is will this hurt anything ? and am i getting the full benefit of the cable upgrade?, thanks in advance
bassfisherman1_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: any help appreciated

You are getting the benefit of the cable upgrade, but the batteries will no longer charge properly.

I am assuming You built your own cables as any competent dealer knows that you need to run the negative through the OBC.

In that case, just cut one of the ends off, run the cable through the OBC and terminate the cable again.

If the cable is too thick to go through the OBC, You need to cut the cable near the OBC and use a 5/16" 'stud' through the OBC so you can make a connection in each side of the OBC.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

The cart will still charge, however it won't know when to turn down or off. This problem is common among those who upgrade to 2 gauge cables as 2 gauge won't go through the OBC hole. (4ga will go through, but the lug has to be installed while on the cart)

The simplest solution is to leave the factory cable hooked up and run your new larger gauge cable as you have. The other solution is to run a stud and connect to it with your new cables.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
The cart will still charge, however it won't know when to turn down or off. This problem is common among those who upgrade to 2 gauge cables as 2 gauge won't go through the OBC hole. (4ga will go through, but the lug has to be installed while on the cart)

The simplest solution is to leave the factory cable hooked up and run your new larger gauge cable as you have. The other solution is to run a stud and connect to it with your new cables.
That does not work!

The OBC does a Coulomb count of energy units in and out of the battery pack and it will cause a problem in the long run.

The stud is the only option that works if the cable does not fit through the OBC.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That does not work!

The OBC does a Coulomb count of energy units in and out of the battery pack and it will cause a problem in the long run.

The stud is the only option that works if the cable does not fit through the OBC.
It's never failed once when I have done it. So stating it "does not work" would be your opinion.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
It's never failed once when I have done it. So stating it "does not work" would be your opinion.
This is the collective opinion of the forum based upon the large membership input over years of research.
Failure may take time to show as the charger is controlled by the OBC which is now unable to get an accurate count of the amperage used.
So while the cart may appear to be charging the pack it is not able to do a proper job because the computer is no longer able to accurately read the usage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well There is one other option, eliminate the OBC and get a "Smart" charger that will charge the pack itself.

Only time will prove that jumping around the OBC will shorten the pack life as they will not get charged completely (little by little each time), this is the big reason why you must either use the OBC as per design or charge the pack alternatively. So you can argue until your blue that bypass works as it will but at a price of shorter battery life and to say differently is out of ignorance or someone trying to save a buck or misleading people you do business with and them not being any wiser. This isn't an opinion but fact.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This is the collective opinion of the forum based upon the large membership input over years of research.
Failure may take time to show as the charger is controlled by the OBC which is now unable to get an accurate count of the amperage used.
So while the cart may appear to be charging the pack it is not able to do a proper job because the computer is no longer able to accurately read the usage.
The key words are "collective opinion." When I read something that says you can't do this or that won't work what I see is the chance to find a solution to a problem that hasn't yet found. Nobody ever discovered anything, learned anything, or advanced further by simply giving up because someone else said you can't do this based on that. (in this case, you can't do this based on an electrical equation theory) Now, I'm not saying I sit around trying to slam a square peg in a round hole.....there are the obvious things that don't work and won't work. But there are also things that can and will work given that someone is willing to try and test.....there's always got to be a guinea pig. Many, many years ago when I had issues with cables overheating on a cart with 2 awg cables installed and I needed an interim solution while I tried to determine what issue was causing this problem, I doubled up on the 2awg cables. Each connection had a pair of 2awg cables and it worked like a champ......and I had read that "shouldn't" be done. In the end, I did find the problem.....the wire had been manufactured with defects in the stranding, but in the time it took to find that I solved the issue by doing something that wasn't "supposed" to be done, and it worked. In this case, I have done this with many carts and watched the results. I don't mean over a couple days or weeks, I mean over years. It has never failed or caused any premature failure on the carts that I modified in that way. I've found that a large number of people seem to assume that everything stays the same and nothing changes, and thus old opinions have somehow become the norm. I don't follow the crowd, I don't accept something as concrete because that's the way it's always been. I find solutions, implement and test them and if they work within the parameters of goal I want to achieve, I institute them into my daily routines. I'm sure everyone here has some valuable information to contribute to the overall topic of carts that they have learned while using and working on their own or others. Periodically, you have to take that "collective" knowledge and update it to include what has been learned or discovered since it was last "agreed upon." My opinions have been formed by my years working around just about every drive system built, from a simple weedwacker all the way into super complicated European automobiles and everything in between....though I specialize more in the carts. It was famously said once by General George S Patton that "if everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking."
Old 10-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hogwash LOL opinions and fact are two different things, you offer a blind solution that will work short term but isn't the long term answer at the expense of someone not knowledgeable in this sort of thing thus putting his wallet in the long term picture.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Just because the cart still works in this scenario does not prove the procedure is correct. Every cart this is done to will have shortened battery pack life. This CAN be proven and is NOT opinion.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car