lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
xfactor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default FSIP or Alltrax SPM

I'm faced with replacing my controller now. I've got a 93 CC DS with Scotty's conversion on it running 48v on a 36v motor. I am planning on up grading the motor sometime this year if not by the first of next year. I looked at the Alltrax SPM 48600 and the FSIP GE 700 amp controllers. Other than the price and the computer programing on the Alltrax what is the difference? This will be used on a hunting buggy so I would need a durable unit as it is not a campground cart.

I don't really care about custom programing etc. I just want to be able to creep slow on the way to a stand and have power and torque when I want it. Which direction should I go? Are the FSIP units potted like the Alltrax?

Thank you in advance.

X
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: FSIP or Alltrax SPM

The SPM has a lot of features the GE control does not. Most people do not change the programming of their controls. So the ability to be able to move the control from cart to cart or change operating perimeters would not be a big benefit.
Some differences you might like on the SPM are the reverse polarity protection and the built in cooling fan.
Creeping still makes excess heat.
Be sure to use a hi-torque motor
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I love my GE controller and have not had a problem with it . To me it was a perfect plug and play unit. I would upgrade to 2ga wire for the 700 amp throws out some heat. I started out with 36 volt 3.5 hp series motor on mine and replaced it with a plum quick after melting the threads off of the S1 post due to the 700 amp controller and smaller wires at the time .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, the beauty of the FSIP GE type control is in the simplicity. It is a plug and play replacement for many series carts.
Both of these controls have good points which is why we sell both
Old 10-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

The following is based on my experience of owning one electric golf cart converted to a hunting cart - that's it - so take it for what it's worth. Clearly, experts know more about this stuff than I do.

I have an FSIP 700 amp controller, and if I had to do it all over again, I would probably, but not definitely, buy an Alltrax. Why? Because more shops are familiar with them over the FSIP/GE controller. FSIP has good customer service, as does Scottyb, but if you need someone to check out whether you are having a problem with your controller, as opposed to some other part, such as your motor or wiring, etc., most shops have the ability to hook up an Alltrax to the computer and check it out. FSIP/GE is not the same way. You will be taking it off and sending back to FSIP, where you will be charged a fee for testing it, and of course, shipping to and from. I'm not blaming FSIP for that. I'm just telling you my experience. Maybe your local shops can service a GE controller. Mine here cannot. Maybe there are other advantages to an FSIP/GE that I do not know that would outweigh this issue?

Also, if you are going to run a stock 36volt motor, you can tune the Alltrax easier if you are concerned about producing too much heat in the motor. You may, of course, lose performance by tuning it down, but what's worse - losing performance but keeping your motor or losing your motor?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Love my 700A FSIP! It is so dead simple to hook up, if a shop cant look at it and know what to do they shouldn't be working on your cart. And what swayed me to the 700A FSIP is I can turn it down so I don't fry the 36v motor that I am running - you can too CousinVinnie. Dead simple to adjust - just two dials. One dial adjust how much amperage you get, the other adjust the throttle ramping. It really doesnt get any simpler than that.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Point well taken. If a cart shop can't evaluate the GE control with it's screwdriver settings how in the blazes are they gonna know what to do with a programmable control

Every week I communicate with golf cart shops that have little or no ...er...a nvr mnd....
Old 10-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
xfactor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info guys. I might as well replace the motor at the same time if I am going to do all that with the controller. Now to just figure out which motor but that is another thread!

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
Now to just figure out which motor but that is another thread!

Thanks again!
No other thread needed , Just get a Plum Quick and it will put a smile on your face
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
xfactor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I see you are running the Rattlesnake II. How does that pull the hills? I assume you are running 23's? Speed is nice, the max I'm concerned about is about 22mph. I would like torque and speed ,with it leaning a little more towards torque.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car