lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
CCPunisher
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default New club car brake problems

I've got a completely rebuilt club car precedent I bought a few weeks ago. I put 2.5 inch wheel spacers on to lower the center of gravity on the 6inch lift. Before that, The brakes were grinding so the previous owner sent me new pads. One of the old pads was down to the metal and ruined one of the drums. I installed the new pads along with new drums--kind of a pain. The brakes are self adjusting so they automatically adjust as the pads wear down.

After installing them I made sure the cables were loose and operational. Also tested wheel spin while it was on a lift to make sure the wheels turned freely when the brakes were not applied. After a few rides the brakes began to self adjust and now the wheels don't spin freely And will stop the car without applying the brakes. Not nearly as much as when I apply the brakes though.

I repeated the uninstall reinstall process several times to make sure everything was installed correctly only to get the same result after a few rides.

I checked the tension on the cables....that's not it.
I checked to make sure the brakes were disengaging...that's not it.
I've lost about 4mph in speed and the batteries don't last long at all now.

I had my father in law take a look and he thinks the pads need time to wear down a bit.

Anybody ever experience this? Any suggestions on what I might be missing? Is my father-in-law right - God forbid?
CCPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: New club car brake problems

The sliders are binding.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
CCPunisher
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sorry.....I'm a total noob, but pretty good at figuring things out. What are the sliders? These are not disc brakes
Old 10-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
CCPunisher
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Here is the assembly I have if this helps: http://www.golfcartpartsdirect.com/Category/286
Old 10-31-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

At the bottom of the photo where the adjuster is, there is a flat part that slides to allow the brakes to float as the wheel turns, this keeps the shoes from sticking on one side or the other. If this part does not slide from side to side the brakes will drag and over tighten the shoes.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
CCPunisher
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... That has to be it. I tightened that down. I'm going to loosen that right now.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
CCPunisher
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Mrgolf. Where do u live? Gotta send u some of my home brew. Loossened the nuts and it was an instant fix. What a nooooooooob I am.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I'm from ky. We do pretty good brewing here too.

Tags
club car brake pads
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car