lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Onebadbug
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV Electrical Help

I just bought an 09 RXV cart for $300.00. Batteries were dry, so I replaced them with (4) Trojan T-1275 plus batteries. Stripped the cart, painted everything and put it back together in one week. Cart is fast now, installed some 14" wheels with 225 30 14 street tires and with my Waze app it did 21 mph. Now I got the itch real bad to finish the build, so I bought a sound deck, Wet Sounds 10 sound bar, & Wet Sounds 10" sub. I plan to add a fifth Trojan T-1275 as I have room under the seat to run the 12 v sound system. Here is where I am lost.

Option 1: Keep the 12v system separate, and charge separately.

Option 2: Call me crazy, Install a 300 watt (25) amp 48v to 12v DC converter, connect the (4) 48 v batteries to (1) 12v battery, and let my cart charger charge all (5) batteries. Will this work?
Onebadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2016, 04:12 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Electrical Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadbug View Post
I just bought an 09 RXV cart for $300.00. Batteries were dry, so I replaced them with (4) Trojan T-1275 plus batteries. Stripped the cart, painted everything and put it back together in one week. Cart is fast now, installed some 14" wheels with 225 30 14 street tires and with my Waze app it did 21 mph. Now I got the itch real bad to finish the build, so I bought a sound deck, Wet Sounds 10 sound bar, & Wet Sounds 10" sub. I plan to add a fifth Trojan T-1275 as I have room under the seat to run the 12 v sound system. Here is where I am lost.

Option 1: Keep the 12v system separate, and charge separately.

Option 2: Call me crazy, Install a 300 watt (25) amp 48v to 12v DC converter, connect the (4) 48 v batteries to (1) 12v battery, and let my cart charger charge all (5) batteries. Will this work?
Congrats and welcome to the Forum!

You found one heck of a good deal there! I spent a week looking for a parts RXV and the only one I found they wanted $900 for without batteries and without the rear axle and motor. I offered $900 with the rear axle and motor and they never returned my call, so I bought parts I needed new from E-Z-GO.

I would recommend that you go with just the 12V reducer powered from the 48V pack with a 48V relay controlled by the keyswitch power wire (small red wire on one of the solenoid small terminals). You really do not need a 12V battery, which if it were to get low could draw more than the 12V reducer can supply trying to charge. If you try powering the reducer from the main solenoid output, it will shut off even with the key on due to the solenoid negative being switched on and off by the controller when you press or release the throttle pedal.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You can't charge the extra battery with your charger so that's out. I think your best option is to get a 48V to 12V converter that has sufficient current rating to run your stuff. That is the easiest and lowest maintenance method of getting 12V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
Onebadbug
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for your feedback!
Onebadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO