lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
MichiganBob
Not Yet Wild

Default CC 1996 DS Rear End/Motor Rattle

I recently purchased a 1996 Electric Club Car DS. It has a rattle sound coming from the rear. It is most pronounced during deceleration but sometimes can be heard when accelerating. After checking all the obvious things (brakes dragging or other obstructions) and after reading many of the posts here, I feel it is the motor coupling to the differential.

I'd like to buy the AM10039 Centering kit or the guide-ring online before taking motor off.

Without removing the motor can any one tell me if this motor is solid shaft motor or a guide-ring motor.

I understand that Club Carts of this vintage would normally take a guide-ring. However; the seller told me that this cart was updated with a high speed motor. Because of the length of time it will take to get the parts, I hate to have the cart torn apart and not functioning during this time. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170228_132942.jpg (200.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170228_121945.jpg (198.9 KB, 0 views)
MichiganBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: CC 1996 DS Rear End/Motor Rattle

Call David (TahoeDawg) 706-836-7210 at http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/. With one call he can confirm what you need and you can place your order.

to BGW.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

96 would be guide ring, but like you said motor has been upgraded. The reality is, if it is a guide ring style, you don't need to buy a new one. You can just remove the old one, clean it and inside the motor shaft and re-cement it in place. Ive done too many to count and never replaced the guide ring.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
MichiganBob
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
96 would be guide ring, but like you said motor has been upgraded. The reality is, if it is a guide ring style, you don't need to buy a new one. You can just remove the old one, clean it and inside the motor shaft and re-cement it in place. Ive done too many to count and never replaced the guide ring.
What type of cement did you use to re-cement? The original cement isn't available and not finding anyone local that has Loctite 4212. Can you recommend anything else?

This is probably a dumb question... but why is it so important to have it cemented in place? It can't rotate because the splines of the motor hold it in place. It seems like the only purpose is to hold it in place to make it easier to keep splines aligned to motor while installing to shaft of differential.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
MichiganBob
Not Yet Wild

I took the motor off cart. The motor does indeed have a Club Car 101789101 Motor Ring Guide.

Question .. When I pulled motor out from differential the armature pulled out of motor. I'm sure I can get it all back together however; is there something that is suppose to hold armature in motor. It seems like it is just the friction of the brushes on the armature that holds the armature in motor housing.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
MichiganBob
Not Yet Wild

Looks like my issue is primarily the rear bearing in motor...It is very sloppy.. Not sure how tight the bearing should fit on shaft of motor or in motor end plate. It is loose on motor shaft and in motor end plate and bearing itself is sloppy.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: CC 1996 DS Rear End/Motor Rattle

There should be a rear bearing retainer that holds the bearing to the rear housing with two #8 screws. If the bearing is sloppy in the rear housing it maybe a worn housing caused by the missing retainer...or maybe the wrong bearing...it should be a 6203 bearing based on my past experience. Either way you need some help.😎
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
MichiganBob
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
There should be a rear bearing retainer that holds the bearing to the rear housing with two #8 screws. If the bearing is sloppy in the rear housing it maybe a worn housing caused by the missing retainer...or maybe the wrong bearing...it should be a 6203 bearing based on my past experience. Either way you need some help.😎
The bearing was held in with bearing retainer and two #8 screws as you described. But after removing the retainer the bearing dropped out.. I thought from other posts that the bearing was pressed into the motor end plate housing and the retainer with screws was secondary.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #9
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: CC 1996 DS Rear End/Motor Rattle

The bearing presses on the armature shaft and that is the most important...but the housing needs to be tight but not press fit...if the bearing is loose in the rear housing then the noise could be coming from that issue alone. Check the armature shaft with a micrometer to check for wear or taper...if all of that is good then again double check the bearing number to be sure it's correct.😎
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
MichiganBob
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
The bearing presses on the armature shaft and that is the most important...but the housing needs to be tight but not press fit...if the bearing is loose in the rear housing then the noise could be coming from that issue alone. Check the armature shaft with a micrometer to check for wear or taper...if all of that is good then again double check the bearing number to be sure it's correct.😎
Ok.. That explains things a little more. The bearing is very loose fit on motor shaft. I have ordered a new bearing and will see how it fits on shaft. Is there a fix if the motor shaft is worn or tapered?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car