lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Brake shoe springs

Just a quick question for those who find it easier to change brake shoes out than I do. On the DS it seems like I am always fighting with the springs to add or remove a brake shoe. Even if I back off the brakes completely they still don't seem any easier to remove. Trying to use pliers or even locking pliers doesn't help because just trying to fit them in there is a pain. I always end up having to remove both sides of the shoes, then put one side back first with both springs attached, then stretch the heck out of the other side with a pry bar to seat the other one and to stretch out the springs. Am I missing out on the easy way or something? Please tell me

Thanks
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Brake shoe springs

https://www.walmart.com/ip/K-Tool-In...liers/16616356

Just an example. Any auto parts store will have them (and better quality).

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
crash test dummy

i just use needle nose vice grips
Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i just use needle nose vice grips
Aw man I tried doing that and I just couldn't do it. I would consider myself fairly strong but I couldn't stretch the end of the spring to the tiny hole it needs to get to lol. How do you fit the pliers so easy behind the axle flange to grip the end of the spring?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
scrannel
Gone Wild

Have done a lot of brake shoe replacement in my day (particularly motorcycle) and there is a weird tool used for "easily" removing and installing brake springs. About to do my DS and will see if it works in that more restricted environ. But... there's about a billion tools designed to stretch the springs into place.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Have done a lot of brake shoe replacement in my day (particularly motorcycle) and there is a weird tool used for "easily" removing and installing brake springs. About to do my DS and will see if it works in that more restricted environ. But... there's about a billion tools designed to stretch the springs into place.
Yes please let me know how effective the tool is. I would be interested to know if it works well enough for a golf cart
Old 03-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I must be missing something. I've changed about 4-5 sets of brake shoes on club car carts and have not had a problem with the springs. I must be doing it wrong.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
crash test dummy

i did a set last Saturday
i just clipped (with neddle nose vicegrips) the spring before the hook and pulled it on , bottom one first

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ng-brakes.html
Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

lol I'm really not trying to sound like a moron here...honest. I have changed the brake shoes successfully and it always ends in success but I'm starting to believe these shoes were being held together with much tougher springs...like someone replaced the originals. One of the springs did not have a longer straight in it like you usually see so I think that is what was going on.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
I must be missing something. I've changed about 4-5 sets of brake shoes on club car carts and have not had a problem with the springs. I must be doing it wrong.
lol funny guy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car