lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
Luke Duke
Getting Wild

Default Towing a trailer with a rear flip seat

I've got a BBQ pit that I move around my property a couple of times a year. I've currently got a
Madjax Genesis 150 Madjax Genesis 150
rear flip seat with the
optional hitch optional hitch
. The tongue weight of the trailer flexes the footrest of the Genesis 150 more than I would like.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear flip seat whose foot rest and supports can handle a lot of weight? Or is there a seat with a flip up foot rest that will accommodate a
frame mounted hitch frame mounted hitch
? Does anyone know if the http://www.custom-inc.com/max5-rear-seat-kit/ would work?
Luke Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Towing a trailer with a rear flip seat

Your hitch point is WAY, WAY too far from the axle and frame for proper towing. a little garden cart or seadoo trailer is not so bad but it sounds like your BBQ pit is some serious iron. You need a hitch that is tight to the rear of the cart and extends to the frame rails. Might be a pain to hook and unhook but it sounds like you don't do this everyday.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

for work i got the frame mount and got a hitch extion. then welded it all up and re painted. will now pull two 4x8 trailers with plants on them.
20170214_152853.jpg
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Your hitch point is WAY, WAY too far from the axle and frame for proper towing. a little garden cart or seadoo trailer is not so bad but it sounds like your BBQ pit is some serious iron. You need a hitch that is tight to the rear of the cart and extends to the frame rails. Might be a pain to hook and unhook but it sounds like you don't do this everyday.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
Luke Duke
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post

I definitely agree with you. Now need to figure out if a Max5 will work and if I want to spend the money on it. Or I can save some money and unbolt my footrest every time I want to tow something.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

How high is your footrest? On a lifted cart the drawbar should be well below the bumper to pull and more importantly control your load. Here are a couple of pics on one I built last winter [before paint] The drawbar is 6" below the bumper and JUST extends past it. Can tow anything the cart can get moving without steering problems or fear of tipping over if the trailer or wagon pushes the rear of the cart around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (256.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (414.8 KB, 0 views)
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Duke View Post
I've got a BBQ pit that I move around my property a couple of times a year. I've currently got a Madjax Genesis 150 rear flip seat with the optional hitch. The tongue weight of the trailer flexes the footrest of the Genesis 150 more than I would like.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rear flip seat whose foot rest and supports can handle a lot of weight? Or is there a seat with a flip up foot rest that will accommodate a frame mounted hitch? Does anyone know if the Max5 Seat would work?
Your best option is to mount an additional brace from the footrest to the vertical support tubing. Mount it at a 45 degree angle from the end of the foot rest to the vertical support tubing. This will help with the flexing of the center of the footrest as much as it can.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
jsmith294
Gone Wild

Club Car

Homebrew hitch: can't get much simpler than this! The main cross member is a repurposed storm door!I originally put it together as a one-use expedient, but it worked so well I left it in place. The vertical part of the seat support takes the draw force. The tongue weight on the is not too high if the trailer is set up correctly and the load distribution is properly distributed.

Eventually I will disassemble the hitch, paint it, and find or make some plugs for the ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1219_hitch.jpg (323.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1219_hitch2.jpg (149.3 KB, 0 views)
jsmith294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a Madjax 300 seat and their hitch. Their hitch wont work with your seat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Hitch.jpg (217.1 KB, 0 views)
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Luke Duke
Getting Wild

It's not that a particular hitch won't work, it's that whatever the hitch is mounted to may not support the weight.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car