lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Trojan's T-105's getting "up" there!!

I know it's been quite awhile since I purchased and installed the 8, 6-V batteries in my txt cart. So, I wiped off the NOLAX "stuff" that I use on the terminals to check the date.....and the neg terminal was stamped "I2". (Not twelve but "I" "2") So....that would mean the batteries were MFG September of 2012, and that would make 'em 5 years old.

I've taken good care of these batteries via water, charge, and keeping the terminals clean and have a great set (Scotty B's) wires on 'em.

However, I have noticed a small decrease in the run time on my cart. I guess after about 5 years the batteries are on the decline.

I thought the next set of batt's would be lithium.....but at this point I'm not sure. I think I can pick up a new set of Trojans for about $1,100 or so.

OTOH....perhaps I should look at buying 8 T-145"Plus" 6-V batteries. The rated amp-hr of this battery is 287 vs the T-105 rating of 250. It's not that much more amp\hr for the T-145.....but "more" is always better.....except when it come's to bikini's.

Any thoughts on just replacing with deep cycle batt's vs going Lith right now?

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan's T-105's getting "up" there!!

Don't forget about the normal decline in capacity as the fall/winter temps roll in. A decrease in range may be normal for the conditions you operate in.

I look forward to lithium also, but it's still 3 times the cost of FLA's in Atlanta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Temp vs Storage Capacity.jpg (81.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

True. Sometimes I think I don't think. When it's 36 degrees and I'm properly clothed for hunting.....I don't think it's cold out. When the temps drop into the low 20's or high teens with a steady 5mph wind.....then it's getting cold!!

Thanks for the brain jolt!!
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i got my pack of deca/east penn 36v for under $600...if trogens set you back $1,100-i would just bite the bullet and go lith....just my opinion....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My Exide batteries (42V pack) are getting up there also (Nov-2012) and I'm pretty sure I'll be going to 48V when I replace them. I'll probably go with 6 X 8V since the max distance I drive my cart theses days is only 15 miles and my cart is very efficient.

I looked at going to lithium, but sticker shock of the batteries alone, along with a limited budget, has convinced me to stay with Lead-Acid.

Also, My cart has all the speed and torque I need and then some, so I wouldn't benefit much from the lighter weight of the lithium batteries.

On the other hand, you might benefit considerably with a hunting cart that is 400 pounds, or more, lighter. And I understand lithium batteries have better performance at 20°F than lead-acid batteries do, so that would be a plus also. Of course, total cost will likely be the deciding factor.

If you stay with lead-acid the weight of the battery pack will be 80 pounds heavier with the T-145's. You'll get about 20% more run-time per charge and they will have about a 13.5% longer lifespan that T-105's
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks for all of your post. I like to bounce my thinking (however limited it may be) off here for your thinking. It really is a great help.

Johnnie....I was considering going with the T-145's if (IF) I decide to go lead acid on this next round. OTOH, I need to do some more research on the lithium. The weight savings is one great factor......but the run time in cold weather is really a great option.

I got some research and thinking to do. I'll post my "results" when I get there.....to run my logic....be it what may...off you guys. Thanks!!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FWIW, my 8 T105s are November of 2011, and I haven't noticed any decline, though we live in North Georgia, so it never gets too cold here. I also ride less often, and less distance, with fewer passengers than I used to. I'm hoping to get 10 years out of them. Maybe by then Lithium prices will have dropped enough. If they are the same as FLA, I may stick with FLA.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO