lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Darkside
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 Western (TXT) Controller Melted and possible engine damage

Howdy all,

This is my first time to post, but I have been lurking around all year since i just bought this barely used cherry red Western, with built-in cooler lol.

It runs on 42V (7 6V batteries), not sure if Western added that 7th battery or the original owner. The speed controller (1205) was rated for 36V, as is the Motor (bd5-4001a)

Let me start with the best part of the story: I was driving 6 beautiful women around my farm during a party, with a mission to feed people pizza. Not give them pizza, but for one of the fine young ladies to stick a slice in your mouth type thing. It was glorious. They were packed in; a few on the hood and few sprawled across the back, so i was driving VERY SLOW as not to dump the precious cargo.

This is where the trouble began. I remember smelling some melty/electrical smells that night. I understand that creeping the cart at low speeds with all that weight, especially on an 36V juiced up to 42V, is a bad move. The batteries were almost discharged by the next day, so I took it to the shop and plugged it in. I didnt turn off the key or put on the brake...

I came back the next day and it had taken off during recharging and run off the back of my carport, there is a 16" drop off the slab and it was hung up there. Looked inside and saw that the controller was melted at the top, and the cables coming off M- and A2 had melted their sheathing off (not 4awg wire, they were 6awg) The Orange pin connection was loose/melted as well.

I just replaced the controller with a 48V version that fit the same model. I replaced the melted wires with 4 awg as well.

I hit the gas and it moved! but not really. it was incredibly weak and almost sputtering/stuttering. I was able to drive it in a small circle, veeeerry slowly, but it seemed like it was making a subtle grinding noise (maybe just dirty brakes from the dirt road.) I then propped up the rear end to do a diagnostic. When i hit the gas the wheels jumped to life and started spinning, for about 5 seconds. Before they reached top speed there was a rough clank-like sound and the wheels seized up. now nothing happens when i depress the petal except the solenoid engaging.
I can spin the rear wheels by hand, they turn opposite directions of course.

DID I JUST SEIZE THE MOTOR? I have read that controller problems like I had also come with motor damage. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thank ya'll for the help and for reading my lengthy description. I wish i had a picture of the cart covered in ladies for my profile pic!

Silas
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 Western (TXT) Controller Melted and possible engine damage

sounds like you exploded the motor-which kills a controller as well-too many rpm`s...but i am only guessing....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO