lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
larby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Running really rough, poss spark??

Hi everyone,

I've got a petrol (gas) club car, serial number is AG 9231293682, so i'm guessing it's a 92 model?
Anyhoo, it's been in a field for a while... I got it yesterday, gave it a clean, changed the fuel and then wired it up to my van to jump start it. It started up quite nicely and ran well apart from in the top 1/4 of the throttle where it stumbled.
I took it out for a spin in my field, and it started to splutter a lot, which it continues to do now.
It'll idle fairly well, but if you give it any throttle it splutters like mad and usually cuts out. I've tried sraying in some easy start while throttling it but that doesn't help (and usually would).
I took out the spark plug and it seems to me that the spark is a bit weak. I could be wrong, but that seems to be the issue to me. I can see that the HT lead goes into the fan/cooling cover on the side of the engine, but i can't see how to get to this without taking the engine out!

Anyone got any suggestions on what my issue could be, or how i go about fixing it? I need to work out where the coil is and how to get to it!

Thanks in advance,

James
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Running really rough, poss spark??

As with Any gas engine that has been left to sit the fuel left in the carburetor has turned to varnish and clogged passages etc. The carb needs to be removed and disassembled and throughly cleaned with a carb cleaner... It may take more than one time to do the job. Also remove any fuel left in the tank and replace with fresh fuel and a new filter.....Good Luck
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
larby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That was gonna be my next move, but it just seemed weird to me that it didn't make any difference when i sprayed starter fluid in? Normally it would've perked up with that if it was a fuelling issue?
Anyone know where i can find the info on removing that cover on the side of the engine and checking the ignition system?
I'll ive the carb a good clean out tomorrow

Cheers, James
Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is vastly more common to have a fuel delivery problem than a spark issue on a cart that has sat.... I would clean clean clean the carb first....Start fluid ignites very hard. It is hard on the engine like hitting the piston with a big hammer when it hits TDC.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
larby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cool, I'll try that tomorrow then. Thing is, it ran fine at first, both with the starter fluid and with fuel when that cut in. It wasn't till like 10 mins later that it started to splutter? Also the plugs are getting black in seconds, so that's telling me it's over fuelling, or just not igniting?
Please don't think i'm just disagreeing with you, just trying to work it all out in my head before i head up there without the help of this forum tomorrow!

Thanks again, James
Old 05-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
larby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also, I tried a different plug but the spark still seemed weak... Just a very fine blue spark, not a nice bright thick blue one.

James
Old 05-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are on to it..... let us know what you find?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Sounds like you are on to it..... let us know what you find?
good luck James.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
larby
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well i was onto it... But i've hit a bit of a wall now! I'll try cleaning the carb out tomorrow, but after that i have no idea how to take the thing apart or what else to check!

James
Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I'm curious...

Did/do you have your Air Box (air filter) and snorkle hooked up to the carb?

Club Cars are very "finicky" about they're Air to Fuel mixture ratio, and may have symptoms similar to that!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car