lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
Jdulac88
Not Yet Wild

Default Installing a USB Charger on The Precedent

Finally getting around to playing with my Precedent. Had a 2 DS's and moved on to a 2013 Precedent. Any way the wife has been begging for a a USB charger. Took the front dash off (my cart has lights) and noticed there are two open leads that have written on them says 12 volt receptacle. But when I check the voltage on them it was close to 16V. I know all about 48-12Volt voltage reducers. And I have one purchased. But when I saw this I was excited that I may just be able to hook up right into that. Can any one shed any light on this connector? Why would it be written 12V receptacle but be at 16 volts. After I thought about it maybe this is just running off two batteries since I have the 6 - 8 volts. But to me it wouldn't make sense as 16volts would probably burn out any accessory plugged into that. If you need more information my cart is right here. The lights were installed already when i purchased. TIA.
Jdulac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Installing a USB Charger on The Precedent

Some accessories, such as lights, are meant to run from 12V but are resilient enough that they will run on 16V so people who don't want to go to the expense or trouble of fitting a reducer will run them from two of the batteries.

In the long run this is bad for a number of reasons. The 12V accessory will not last as long because the 16V will eventually burn it out but, even more importantly, the battery pack will become unbalanced because power is being pulled from only 2 of the 6 batteries. Also, in a cart with an OBC the computer is not made aware of the power that is being pulled from those batteries so the charger (controlled by the OBC) never puts it back. The other reason is that other accessories may not be as resilient and if they are connected to what is supposed to be 12V but is really 16V then they will burn out.

All-in-all you are much better properly fitting a 48V-12V reducer as you have said that you are going to do.

As for the USB port, it runs off 12V and outputs it as 5V so it is a mini reducer itself. It might run off 16V for a while but I've never tried it so I don't know. They are not expensive so you could see if it works temporarily until you've fitted your reducer but be sure to put a fuse in the line just in case it burns and shorts out. I would wait a few more days until you get the reducer fitted.

With regard to where to fit it, of course that's up to you but the picture shows where I have fitted mine and they fit there quite neatly above the steering column.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash 1000.jpg (178.9 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Default Re: Installing a USB Charger on The Precedent

I agree with the sentiment here, I have a 4X12v setup in my precedent and ran a light bar/usb ports off a single battery and eventually ran that battery down and had to replace the pack earlier than expected.

Another cheap option is to get a rechargeable 12v slim factor battery, and use that - it's what I do. For $14, it works well and I've only once ever forgotten to charge it before I head to the course.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car