lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
cfore
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Wiring F/R rocker switch to replace bell type

My first post, this forum has been extremely helpful! I went from not owning a golf cart to replacing the controller, solenoid, and adding the solid state contactor, and upgrading the wiring to 2g in two weeks.

Now... I am on the last piece the FR rocker switch from ScottyB. I do not understand the positive + to the middle prong on the rocker. Does this power need to come from the solenoid+ and go through the MCOR or can I can run/use a stock wire?

Also... Does the solenoid need to have the negative wired to the blk terminal on my new ALLTRAX SR controller?

Thank you!

Cart info: 2000.5 A model (DS) Club CART 48V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diag.jpg (212.2 KB, 0 views)
cfore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
cfore
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring F/R rocker switch to replace bell type

Forgot to mention I am using a new 400A solenoid from ScottyB. (Picture attached). I am confused as this device says contactor on the label attached. This is the solenoid right? If this is the solenoid and I do need the negative from the solenoid to the blk terminal on the new controller, which side is negative? I thought both post on the solenoid were positive, neither are negative?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9051.jpg (203.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What FnR switch do you have? What are you trying to replace it with?

In the industrial world a solenoid of that design is a contactor. Our non-industry lingo leads us to call it a "solenoid", which it is in some sense, but it's more accurately a contactor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The difference between a solenoid and a contactor is that the solenoid does some mechanical work. A contactor makes a high current electrical connection. A good example if a solenoid is when one is mounted on a car starter. When it pulls in it makes the gears mesh so the engine turns over.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfore View Post
Forgot to mention I am using a new 400A solenoid from ScottyB. (Picture attached). I am confused as this device says contactor on the label attached. This is the solenoid right? If this is the solenoid and I do need the negative from the solenoid to the blk terminal on the new controller, which side is negative? I thought both post on the solenoid were positive, neither are negative?
The MZJ400A does not have a mandate for + and - on the small terminals. And there is no designated battery or controller side for the big cables. You chose. Either way if is fine. The small terminal diode must be oriented correctly. The banded end must be towards the small (+) wire.
Re read the instructions. They have all of this information in them.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
cfore
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ScottyB I have read the instructions so many times I think im going blind, but I could have still missed this step. The line with the red arrow is the only question I have left. It is not mentioned in the instructions, but it is on the diagram. Is this needed? Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 2.08.32 PM.jpg (20.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Looks like you are indicating the solenoid small negative. Definitely needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
The difference between a solenoid and a contactor is that the solenoid does some mechanical work. A contactor makes a high current electrical connection. A good example if a solenoid is when one is mounted on a car starter. When it pulls in it makes the gears mesh so the engine turns over.
But isn't that the same thing? Only difference being a continuous duty electric motor on the cart and a continuous duty solenoid. And, the electric motor (starter) on the car used briefly to start a larger motor.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
cfore
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Looks like you are indicating the solenoid small negative. Definitely needed.
Since there is not negative on the 400A solenoid should I use the B- ?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
But isn't that the same thing? Only difference being a continuous duty electric motor on the cart and a continuous duty solenoid. And, the electric motor (starter) on the car used briefly to start a larger motor.
Not to go too far off topic, but not quite.
A solenoid is simply a moveable core, what it does on the other end differs quite a bit. Technically a starter solenoid on an automotive style starter is still a contactor. It’s serving double duty making an electrical connection through the bridge of the solenoid to transfer power to the starter motor, and also kicking out the bendix mechanism that engages the pinion gear with the flywheel.
Maybe a better example of something being purely a solenoid is a door lock actuator solenoid. All it does is move a rod up or down.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car