lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
paintguy83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default lift problem

okay so i feel like a total idiot asking this question, but went to install my drop axle lift kit (5inch) and when i got to the point of re-installing the stock spindles to the new axle i noticed ALOT of play (up and down) from the stock spindle to the new axle. i thought it was the new axle but i placed the stock spindle with the original axle and found the same amount of play. what am i missing here? is there an exploited view of the front axle somewhere to see where or what im missing? also the kit was suppose to include "tube spacers" for flipping the rear axle...and imagine that the company shorted me those peices. but more i started thinking bout it, if i just flip the axle i can just reuse all the oem hardware right? thanks for any input
paintguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: lift problem

Do you have the large bronze washers that go on top the spindles? If so your good to go. There is up and down play.

On the back it's a little more than flipping, you need another set of shock mounting plates, blocks and longer bolts. I would first call your supplier.

Do you know the brand of the lift? some come with U bolts, brackets and plates.

I don't know what "tube spacers" are.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

my kit came with a plate that had ears, to which the shocks would attach to. it sits on top of the lift block.

of course, it also came with the blocks and U-clamps. if you look at this picture (and I know it's not the easiest to see, but maybe it will help), you'll see the shocks attach to the plate that sits under the leaf spring, but on top of the lift block.

Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
paintguy83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

okay awesome thank you! yea i have the bushings it just threw me for a loop seeing that much play. the rear came with plates as you are talking about but thats it. the had what was called the economy kit, which pretty much deals with just the front, but the guy said that the fasteners would come with the kit for the rear as well...which they did not. heres what i got...mind you its the economy so i didnt get everything picturedhttp://www.cartstuffdepot.com/inc/sdetail/351
Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Did you get blocks?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

If you have alot of up and down movement in the frt spindles than you more than likely have bad kingpins and bushings. The bushing are brass and the kingpins are steel. Guess what. the Brass wears faster than steel.

Every Lift I put on I tell the customer about the issue and replace the needed brass bushings and kingpins. Some Kits I get have everything for the frt suspension except the leafs.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
paintguy83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

no it didnt come with blocks, i talked with the guy the other day before i tried puttin all this on and he said the back is super simple. he says just flip the rear axle and reuse all existing hardware...and that is suppose to give me 5 inch lift? the kit did however come with new brass bushings though. im goin to wrap up the front tonight, and move to the rear...i for some reason dont forsee me being a very happy person tonight once i start with the rear
Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Your going to be about an inch and a half short in the back. I have used 1.5 x 1.5" square tubing for blocks, cut two pieces 4" long, then drill holes through the middle for your locating pins on the axle and springs.

Then flip the ISO mounts (aluminum brackets) over... opps.. first you have to pull the rubber bushings and trim on each side to clear the locating pins on the axle, I do this with a bench grinder and just grind a little notch on each side, then place your new plates on top the mount, then blocks, then springs, then shock plates on top the springs and use longer bolts to hold it all together. The ISO mount holes are recessed, so save the small washers and use on the new bolts installed from the bottom.

I also switch the springs to the opposite sides, drivers side is always weaker.

And looking at your new front axle, I would say your going to need shock extensions on the front.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
paintguy83
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

yup your exactly right, i got the lift on and im short in the back, directions that were supplied said to chop of pin on top of the axle so thats what i did. had to remove nut and bolt from spring pack and flip it, pretty much took everything and flipped it over. i need to order a new passenger aluminum bracket though. when i took off the wheel i noticed and ear was broken off. made that ear opposite of the shock mount just so there wasnt too much of a weak spot. oh and the kit did supply shock extensions for the front.pretty happy with how everything went but im def goin to do as you say and make a block. thanks everyone for your input wheels and tires should be in tommorow or thursday. i'll get some pics posted when its all said and done
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

The only time you cut down the pins on the axle is when you use U bolts that come with a bracket that sits on top the axle, that ISO mounts are not needed. Now you have nothing to keep everything in alignment, I would try to go that route before I ordered an ISO mount.

Also that's why you use the extra plate on top the ISO mount, because it has a hole to except the axle pin, which takes the stress when shifting from forward to reverse and back, I don't think it will be the last ISO mount you will be buying if you go that route.

Evidently your supplier don't know much about lifting carts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO