lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Default Fe290 Valve Springs 1996 Club Car

Hello, All. I'm wanting to check my valve springs to see if they need replacing and I've never done this before. Do I need to remove the head? Also, will a universal type valve spring compressor work for this job (I don't want to pony up the money for the Club Car tool.) Also, what do I need to put it all back together besides a new head gasket? Does the head gasket get some kind of silicone or other goo before reassembly? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
stevenvjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Fe290 Valve Springs 1996 Club Car

My brother figured this out for me. Put piston at a low point, feed a bunch of 1/4" nylon cord into the cylinder and then put piston back up and compress the nylon cord against the valves. Then you can compress the valves springs by hand and pull them off. Worked great!

Steve
Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

And did the new springs make an improvement?
As ingenious as this sounds, I'm curious why you did this?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Usually this "old school" trick is to allow replacement of the valve stem oil seals without removing the head Scotty. Valve spring breakage is rare unless you are running very high rpm's and weakening of the springs through extremely high temperatures is rarer still. A more modern method of retaining the valves in position is to add compressed air through the plug hole via an adapter.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
stevenvjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Scotty,

I did it to remove the springs and check their specs to see if they needed replacement (they're fine.) I'm trying to exhaust every avenue to get some more power out of my engine and I thought the springs might be worn since it has about 2300 hours on it.

Steve

Tags
1996, club car, springs, valve
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car