lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
1padre
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Do voltage regulator models matter?

I have replaced the wiring, battery, starter generator and regulator. When I disconnect the green wire from from the DF contact on the regulator and attach it to the ground on the cart, the voltage goes right to 16. If I leave the green wire attached it only gives me 11.8V. I am on my second voltage regulator - the first one did the same thing. The EZGO dealer comped the second one. Could he be giving me a regulator that doesn't work with my older cart? They both looked the same as the original. It's an 88 2PG two stroke. Any ideas out there?
1padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
littlecarguy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Do voltage regulator models matter?

The voltage regulator controls the amount of ground to the rotor in the generator. The more ground it provides the higher the output. When you ground the green wire going to the DF terminal on the voltage regulator you are telling the generator to produce max current. It sounds like your generator is working fine. Your voltage should be controlled between around 13.5 - 14.5 volts to keep the battery charged.

Make sure all your connections are clean, including the mounting connections of the voltage regulator. It coud be that something just doesen't have a good clean ground.
littlecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
1padre
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Lil Guy,
I would suspect that also, except I have replaced all connections and wiring, cleaned the studs, etc.....What now?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
littlecarguy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I believe the case should have a good clean ground as well. Try cleaning up the mounting connections and/or run a ground wire to the case to see if it helps.
littlecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
1padre
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Many of these odd issues relate to the main frame earth. I would be tempted to removed the main ground from the frame and then clean the frame back to bare metal. Also clean the cable lugs and ensure that the cable from the main ground to the engine is in good condtion. Without this cable the engine will try to ground out through the choke cable or anything else it can find. This is just a guess as to a solution to your problem but it is a zero cost fix and should only take 10 minutes
Good Luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Check your connections. That green wire should connect the DF terminal of the starter generator to the DF on the VR.
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO