lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #21
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Testing batteries

I have been buying 6- T-105 for $640.00 with exchange.
I just replaced 6 -T-105's that where 10 years old. They still had a charge in them to. I had been using them in the Monster E-Z-GO until this afternoon!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Testing batteries

I'm going with Interstate batteries. They are advertised having 232 amp-hour rating. I found them at $89.00 each with trade in, plus tax.
gcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #23
BEARCATJER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile Re: Testing batteries

Back in December I started having problems with my 2005 Precedent 12 volt batteries slowing down.They were only 3 years old at the time and I have taken excellent care of them since they were new so i was very unhappy at the prospect of having to replace them so soon. Anyway, after reading various posts on this forum and talking to a lot of my neighbor cart owners i bought some stuff designed to desulfinate the batteries and added it.It seemed to help for a while.Then i also decided to add some white distilled vinegar to each cell which my local cart dealer who is a friend of mine recommended. Finally I bought hot load tester which i have since used about every two weeks to stay on top of the battery condition. My cart has been running smoothly and the batteries have functioned well since January. All of my batteries test ok on the hot load tester.I do the test the morning after I have used the cart and had it on the charger overnite...i hope this is the right time to test them...after a full charge.
Each of the batteries shows in the OK area,but very close to the line which separates the ok area from the WEAK section of the tester so I assume they are ok although not anywhere like new since they are 3 1/2 years old.

Yesterday i almost didnt make it around the golf course and back to my house.In other words the cart is acting again like it did last December. I will test it with the hot load tester but expect it will test ok. I dont have a hydrometer..cant find one in my area that is of any decent quality...does anyone know an internet site where i can get one that is actually reliable and works?

I have never resorted to using the epsom salts process as some suggest on this forum and others recommend against. Maybe i should try that as it is looking like im on borrowed time with these batteries.

If i do have to replace the batteries I am thinking about converting to a 6 8 volt battery setup,but that will cost me $1600 per my local dealer. Everyone tells me not to replace the Trojan 12 volt batteries with the same due to problems CC had with that setup.

Rather than spend $800 for 4 12 volt batteries, my neighbor bought some Exide batteries that are rated at 115 amp hrs vs the 155 AH of the Trojans we have. He says the only difference between the two is that the Exides wont go as long as the Trojans before needing a charge, but they definitely handle an 18 hole round of golf with no problem. At half the cost of the Trojans would that be a reasonable alternative for me?

I'm just thinking i am back where i was in december and dont have many options left. If i do go for replacing the 12 volt batteries I plan to buy either US or Crowns instead of Trojans based on recommendations I have seen from a number of cart experts.

Any helpful feedback on my best approach from here would really be appreciated.Thanks so much.
BEARCATJER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The complaint everyone has with these carts is the short battery life.
Reducing the amperage capacity of the 4 batteries by 30% would only exaggerate the problem in my opinion.
Your friend may be fine for a little while....
But what about in 2 years? The smaller the batteries the deeper the discharge for the same amount of amperage used. (ie: 18 holes of golf)
The deeper the discharge the fewer times the battery can cycle back to 100%...(reference Trojan Battery Co)

Even the manufacture has abandoned the 4/12v and opted for the 6/8v.

Shop around ~ the whole conversion and install can be had for less.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
BEARCATJER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scotty..thanks for your reply. I live in the middle of nowhere so I dont have many/any options to get the conversion done. My neighbor bought the parts and did it himself...very handy guy..and says he would never do it himself again. I guess i will either buy the US 12vxc batteries or think about moving up to a 2010 model Precedent. I just put the hot load tester on the batteries and all tested fine. Took the cart out and it ran fine but only went a couple of miles.

I agree with you that the cheaper batteries area short sighted option.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your batteries are loosing their ability to store amperage despite all the 'treatments'. Lead plate sulfation is the death of all wet cell batteries.
Maybe look outside your area, for $500 I would travel alittle ways?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #27
BEARCATJER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not sure i understand what the $500 means. Is that what you think I could save vs the $1600 number i have been given locally? The cost of the batteries alone is about $800 so the conversion is another $800 including the parts.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
BEARCATJER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scottyb..are you familiar with the Powerpulse products? You attach them to your batteries and they supposedly provide continuous desulfanation?$49 for one that works on 12 volt batteries. I figure if i buy new batteries one of these Powerpulse gizmos might be a good investment???
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #29
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

"The cost of the batteries alone is about $800 so the conversion is another $800 including the parts."

Just my .02 cents worth here, but how about contacting one of the site sponsors and getting the conversion kit from Nivel? I know they are available and I think (scary) they are a lot cheaper than $800.

The Powerpulse is a good idea, but you will need 4 of the 12 volt models or one of the 48 volt models.

(don't mean to cut into Scottyb here, but thought I would offer up my opinion)

Have fun , Dave

Last edited by carguy; 05-19-2011 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: add info
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #30
BEARCATJER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

carguy...i checked the nivel site.. the kit is $500 so that means my local dealer would want $300 to install it. Does that sound excessive for the labor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car