lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
1988ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 ezgo new motor

Hi I have a 1988 ezgo resistor cart and looking to get a little more speed without sacrificing torque. I've been looking at motors and would like your opinion on one. Here is one i've been looking at it's 4 hp @ 4400 rpm. Not sure if this is just for speed or will help torque a little. Thanks http://www.blockbustergolfcarts.com/...plined297.aspx
1988ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 ezgo new motor

if you go with a more powerful motor the chances are real good your gonna melt your resistor coils...............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
1988ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is there some way to stop that?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

upgrade to a solid state controller.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
1988ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

But why would it melt the resistors? It still has the same amount of power and all I wouldn't be upping the voltage. And what all would I need to upgrade to the controller?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

because a bigger motor is going to demand more power.......

as for what all you need, talk to ScottyB, he has complete kits for doing these upgrades.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I own the motor you are referring to (also known as a D-297). It is a good motor and performs as advertised in my (solid state)TXT. This cart already had a 400amp speed controller in it and to reap the benefits of the motor I had to upgrade the cabling and the F/R switch. Pushes the (relatively heavy) cart to 20mph with no heat issues.
I also own a 1991 resister cart. I put the motor that was in the TXT in it. This is a 2.5 hp 3400 rpm(approx.) motor. Well, it really lit that resister cart up, pushing it a full 3 mph faster on the flats and up my test hill. BUT, I say again BUT, not long after installing this motor I had to replace two contact studs and the wiper contact(switch) on the speed board. May have been coincidence (parts were 20 years old) but I also have some mild heat issues now. Driveability is also affected. The cart lurches more when operating at other than WOT. This is with only a slight increase in power (2.5hp vs the original 2.0hp). Based on my experience I would think the D297 would completely overwhelm the resister type electronics and would also be annoying to drive except at WOT. These motors draw a lot more amps than the resister electronics can deliver resulting in failure of the speed board, resister coils, F/R switch or all of the above.

Also: If you are serious about buying this motor I got mine from a site sponsor much cheaper than what you referenced.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you can have your motor done for 1/2 of what they want for that one you linked to...but again you have to upgrade the rest.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
1988ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is there any solid state conversion kit that you can buy somewhere?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I sell a conversion kit. Unfortunately, some key components have become unavailable due to a company being sold ... We are working hard at reproducing these components ourselves. Please check with me in a week or 2
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO