lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
ripdis85
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Precedent Charger not shutting off

Hey guys,

So I used my cart today for the first time in 2 weeks and it seemed to be running fine.. I parked it, then plugged in the charger and let it charge.

About 4 hours later I smell a slight burning smell (like electronics burning) coming from where the cart is.. I looked at my volt meter and it was at 64.2V.. I could hear the batteries boiling so I pulled the charger and tried to locate where the smell was coming from but with no success. it about 10 at night here and I'm afraid to plug it in overnight..

Why would the charger run so long and at what voltage is the charger supposed to shut off?.. I'm gonna check the batteries in the morning with a voltmeter and see how they are... Hopefully the there are no problems with the batteries.. I just got them about 5 months ago brand new... trojan t-875s

Could it be that the charger is running so long because the the cart was sitting for 2 weeks without running?

What do you guys think?

Thanks
ripdis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Precedent Charger not shutting off

Here read this thread, there's some info

your at the cut off point, Have you checked the water in the batteries lately, need to check and see if any thing is getting HOT, but be careful you don't burn your fingers if it is HOT, check all cables to see if they are loose, is the battery cable still running through the OBC? has it been charging OK sense you put the new batteries in??

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-1999-48v.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Charger not shutting off

if the smell was the batteries that could be normal as with the voltage while charging and 4 hours isn,t long, your charger wil shut off at 16 hours even if batteries arn,t charged if its working right...........as long as the batteries arn,t boiling water out of them all over and nothing is hot ( warm is ok ) i would just leave the charger on...........makes no difference if they are new mine are new same thing you have and my charger runs 12 hours at least and my voltage gets up into the 64 volt range but after charger shuts off and cart sits the voltage drops back to the 51+ range..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car