lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Messed up my lights, looking for some help.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Can you get 8 or 16 volts to headlights or tail lights to see if they work?

I tried putting power diresctly to a headlight using the existing ground and it did nothing. I will try a jumper right from the battery with a new ground as well and see what that does......Havent checked continuity at all
Mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #22
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ken View Post
I tried putting power diresctly to a headlight using the existing ground and it did nothing. I will try a jumper right from the battery with a new ground as well and see what that does......Havent checked continuity at all
I would test the lights to make sure they work, then you can take them out of equation and start looking elsewhere for the issue.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #23
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will have to. They worked up till when I started this. Also need to find out if the relay I see is for the lights or not
Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #24
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Could what you see be a turn signal flasher?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #25
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Could what you see be a turn signal flasher?
It's possible but I don't have turn signals so probably not. I will have to test it and see if it has any power. Maybe that will help identify it
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Have you tested the bulbs with a meter? Do the filaments look like they are still intact, not burned into? I would either test the bulbs or try new bulbs. Can you jumper from the battery to the positive wire feeding the bulbs and test the ground?
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #27
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

The filaments look intact for sure front and tail lights. I will try to jump power and ground and see what happens
Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #28
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ken View Post
here is what I know...
I guess what is very strange is that you have six 8v batteries and you are getting 12 volts off the first battery when you test it . . . also that you are getting 12 volts anywhere that you test . . . one would think you would find multiples of 8 volts without a 48-12v reducer somewhere . . . interesting . . . . do all six of your batteries look the same, ie, number of filling caps?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #29
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes. All are identical and were new less than a year ago when I bought the cart. I have never worked on anything with batteries in series so it's all new to me
Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

So, I just went out and here is what I found out........

I ran a positive and negative jumper wire off the battery so I knew I was working with new wires and consistency, which was 12 volts off of one battery.

First thing I did was test the existing power lead to the switch, but I used my jumper ground this time........12 volts...........Then I opened the switch and tested the output side, 12 volts (again with the good jumper ground)

I disconnected all of the lights and tested the harnesses for power and all were dead, both with the existing ground, and the jumper ground.

I ran the jumper wires to all 4 lights and all worked.

I then ran the jumper wire to the light switch, and a new wire from the switch and tested the headlights(with my jumper ground) and both worked as they should.

I did another quick look at the wiring. I do not see a relay anywhere. The relay looking thing under the dash has 52volts on both sides, and isnt affected by the light switch operation.Each of the wires that run to the back of the cart has at least one splice with a wire connector, if not more. My cart is an after market stretch and it looks as though they just added to the existing wiring when it was stretched.

So........

The best guess I can come up with is that one of those wires must have a short in it somewhere, whether it is at a connector, or a breech in the insulation. If I am right, and there is no relay, then rewiring all of the lights with 1 consistent piece of new wire and a new, solid ground ought to solve the problem. Does this seem reasonable, or am I missing something else?????
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car