lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
wildandwonderfulprod
Gone Wild

Default Re: what to do on 90ds

Okay Okay! Its not ME thats holding off on the purchases, it's my WIFE holding me off!:)
wildandwonderfulprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

try and get her involved with it.......should make it easier for her to let you do it the right way the 1st time......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #13
ROZ
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
All of the stock Controllers are going to be in the 250-275 amp range with 50-75 amp solenoids.
What you guys need is an aftermarket controller with 4-500a capacity and a 2-400a solenoid....big difference in performance.
I'm new to the cart scene and recently aquired a 94 ds 36v solid state with a v-glide accelerator and a 275amp Curtis controller with factory solenoid.

So going up to 400amp controller and 400amp solenoid will increase overall performance and run time?

Also, I noticed a 36/48v solenoid on your site. Can I use this with a 36/48 controller and upgrade batteries down the road?

With my cart's configuration, will upgrading to 48v require more than controller, solenoid, and batteries?

Sorry to hijack the thread..
ROZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Kidder
Gone Wild

Club Car

Roz you will also need to get a 48v charger. All of the builds I have done on club cars started with older resistor carts. Simply because they are way cheaper to purchase. By the time you upgrade a factory controller cart it will be the same cost. Stock electronics are junk no matter if its controller or resistor if you plan on lifting it.
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROZ View Post
I'm new to the cart scene and recently aquired a 94 ds 36v solid state with a v-glide accelerator and a 275amp Curtis controller with factory solenoid.

So going up to 400amp controller and 400amp solenoid will increase overall performance and run time?

Also, I noticed a 36/48v solenoid on your site. Can I use this with a 36/48 controller and upgrade batteries down the road?

With my cart's configuration, will upgrading to 48v require more than controller, solenoid, and batteries?

Sorry to hijack the thread..
Kidder is right on the money.
The 90-94 36v controller carts were all the same. Great little carts, no OBC, simple to upgrade.
The upgrade controllers on my site are 36 to 48 volts. You can use them with 36v now and 48v later. The typical solenoid is voltage specific. I do have one which can run on both 36 and 48, with just a pre-charge resistor change.
Upgrading your controller will not increase your run time. If you are not getting 80 minutes of actual peddle pushing run-time between charges, then your batteries may not be 100%. Run-time increases are for resistor to solid state conversions only.
Increasing the operating voltage from 36 to 48 using an upgraded controller/solenoid and cable set can increase speed 30% and torque 30-60% depending upon the components.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
ROZ
Getting Wild

Talking Re: what to do on 90ds

Thanks for the replies.

The cart was given to me and is in relatively good condition. It sat for a while, so I put it on the charger when I got home hoping to get it to move under its own power while I customize. If they work, its a bonus since I've gone into this expecting to get batteries. While chargeing, I started dissassembly and notices the diode beginning to smoke, and the 250 resistor is hot to the touch. I'm assuming the controller is bad and causing this issue since I have done the basic Curtis diagnostics.

So if the controller is bad, and I already half expected to get new batteries, it makes sense to go ahead and convert to 48 since the only additional out of pocket expense is the charger.

I have a question, though. Why would anyone go the donor cart route only to get used electronic parts when in The end it cost about the same to go aftermarket? I'm in northern san Diego county and turd bucket carts are Atleast 1k-1.2k... then you have to deal with getting rid of the donor after youre done pilaging. I can do the conversion for a little more than that and have new parts.

As it sits, I've had the cart 2.5weeks. Rear end cleaned and now hammer finished black and the pumpkin is polished. Waiting for hd leaves to come in so I can get them colored and reassemble the rear. The frame is now grime free and sparkling as well. Front end is also cleaned up and hammer finished where parts aren't aluminum. Got lift off Craigslist. Body is almost ready for custom paint.

With doing all the work myself the end product should be a fraction of the cost over a new custom cart.

Did I happen to mention it the kids kart and it will stay at the river?

I think I'm going overboard . Lol
ROZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car