lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
bosn45
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Bad batteries, charger, or luck???

So I inherited this EZGO that my dad was customizing. Now it has electrical troubles. I have searched through your forums and have done the troubleshooting I found here. I charged the batteries one-by-one and they test @ 6.10 - 6.17v ea. The full pack shows 36.6v. They are good on water but I haven't load tested. I know they are weak, just not sure if they are too weak.

Went to charge the other day and charger would not kick on. First time any problem there. I opened the case and checked the fuse. (Power Wise 36v) It was fine. Pulled the two wires off the relay board and jumped them. It hummed then, pointing to the relay. Otherwise, no sound from it. I understand these are the two main problems with this charger, but was told by local shop it could be a diode or other cheap fix.

I just want to get this fixed so I can try to sell the rig, not invest enough to buy a new car!
Any help is greatly appreciated. But there is a reason I didn't graduate electrical school in the Navy
bosn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad batteries, charger, or luck???

Welcome.........

Looks like your batteries are only charged to 50%.
What charger did you use to charge them one at a time?

my bet is a bad pack..
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
bosn45
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Used a portable charger for 6v/12v set to 6v. Today I get one reading at 6.25v. I am recharging them all again, if for nothing else, long-term storage. Is there a "for sure" test I can do on the cart charger to see if it is the problem? It still has me wondering.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosn45 View Post
Used a portable charger for 6v/12v set to 6v. Today I get one reading at 6.25v. I am recharging them all again, if for nothing else, long-term storage. Is there a "for sure" test I can do on the cart charger to see if it is the problem? It still has me wondering.
You can charge two batteries at a time with the 12v charger in the cart.

Get them all around 6.25v then hook up your 36v charger and see if the meter jumps up. Should be around 18amps or higher. If it does nothing then its time to troubleshoot the charger.

attached is a SOC sheet to help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterytable1-1_5msf.jpg (88.7 KB, 0 views)
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosn45 View Post
Is there a "for sure" test I can do on the cart charger to see if it is the problem? It still has me wondering.
Yep.
When connected to cart with the relay jumpered, do you get anything on ammeter?
If so, either the control board is bad or the battery sense circuit isn't sensing the battery pack.

With charger unplugged from AC power, but still connected to cart, check for battery pack voltage on the red and black wires attached to control board.

If you've got Battery pack voltage there, the control board is bad.
If you don't, the Auxiliary contact in the plug isn't making good contact with the outside of the negative Radsok in the charger receptacle, or a broken wire in output cable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97 PW Charger.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
bosn45
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

This sure gives me some stuff to try when I can get the time. Thanx guys!

Tags
batteries, charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO