lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
jpak1putt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery or Solenoid? Lurch, but no "GO"

New to the board - but the posts I've read have given me some direction for troubleshooting.

I have a 1998 Freedom TXT - no regen. Cart was running 10 days ago. I've got a couple of batteries that "hiss", I think gas leakage, during charging.

Last weekend, 11/18, got into the cart and put it in reverse, buzzer sounds, get a lurch and trembles, but not running "normal". I can hear the solenoid click.

Put it in forward and the same lurch and tremble. Without unhooking any cables, I've checked all batteries, with and without load (depressing the "gas pedal") All but one hold their voltage level under load. The one battery is the one connected via Positive lead to Solenoid(I think). That battery under load drops to negative voltage (-5.2v).

With the lurch, I think the solenoid and motor are ok, but the one battery is the cause. Any guidance?

Also, how does a battery go die like that in a week? (Charger was not connected during the week, but was connected 2 days prior to failure)
jpak1putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Battery or Solenoid? Lurch, but no "GO"

Welcome to BGW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpak1putt View Post
Without unhooking any cables, I've checked all batteries, with and without load (depressing the "gas pedal") All but one hold their voltage level under load. The one battery is the one connected via Positive lead to Solenoid(I think). That battery under load drops to negative voltage (-5.2v).

With the lurch, I think the solenoid and motor are ok, but the one battery is the cause. Any guidance?

Also, how does a battery go die like that in a week? (Charger was not connected during the week, but was connected 2 days prior to failure)
If you have a battery that reverses polarity under a load, stop using the cart until it is repaired. Batteries that act weird can explode without warning, and you don't want that to happen.

Batteries die when they want to for many different reasons. My guess is you have a few shorted cells in that one. How old are these batteries?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
jpak1putt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The cart won't go anywhere, so running it won't be an issue. Are suggesting I unhook the cables?

The batteries are at least 4 years old. That's when I got the cart. US 2200.
jpak1putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

So, you did not install these batteries and their history is unverified? If so, I would be prepared to purchase a new pack. Let's get digital voltage readings 12 hours after the charger finishes its cycle. I suggest charging it outdoors until the issue is resolved. And no, there is no reason to disconnect any cables at this point.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO