lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: clicking older style charger on an 05 36v

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba89 View Post
looked on your site and ebay. where is the best place to get just the replacement for the worn connectors and replace them. seems like a new $80 plug and cord is the best anyone offers.
You need two of these. http://www.shopezgo.com/products/Pow...roduct_id=1511

You might be able to find the for less at places other than EZGO.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Parts you want are the receptacle 'radsoks' ... you need 2
This usually fixes this complaint.
I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
ba89
Not Yet Wild

Took apart the paddle and cleaned the connectors and spread them out a bit. They make contact now and I get the hum so original problem solved, thanks for the tips. Good point about the receptors on the cart I will check them out next. New problem however. Well 2 actually, looks like my gauge on the charger is slightly melted where the wire leading to the paddle is connected to it. Could be new, could be old, not sure . Looking for a replacement as we speak nothing on ebay looks right but they may all be similar enough with the same prongs and connectors . Also the dang thing don't ever quit and now I hear some gurgling in the batteries. I am assuming they are being overcharged and the gauge may have something to do with it. Or could there be another problem like a bad board or sensor I wonder? Or could it be one or more bad batteries that aren't coming back up and the charger never thinks its done? I will drive it tomorrow and see how it performs at least. Might tell me more.
ba89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
ba89
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I didn't see the second page. $25 for one? GADZOOKS! Thanks though, I know what I need.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba89 View Post
1. looks like my gauge on the charger is slightly melted where the wire leading to the paddle is connected to it. Could be new, could be old, not sure . Looking for a replacement as we speak nothing on ebay looks right but they may all be similar enough with the same prongs and connectors .

2. Also the dang thing don't ever quit and now I hear some gurgling in the batteries. I am assuming they are being overcharged and the gauge may have something to do with it. Or could there be another problem like a bad board or sensor I wonder? Or could it be one or more bad batteries that aren't coming back up and the charger never thinks its done?
1. Google "24243-G1" and you'll find numerous sources for that ammeter.

2. Before you spread the male terminals in the plug, the relay in the charger was clicking repeatedly, but the transformer didn't start humming, and now it does. That tells me the charger is sensing the battery pack and the control board is turning on the charger.
The same battery sensing circuit and control board also turn off the charger, so the question becomes: Does the battery pack's On-Charge voltage reach the predetermined cut-off voltage?

Measure the pack voltage while it is being charged. If it is below about 45V, the charger isn't being told to turn off.
The control boards used in most chargers of this type (Ferroresonant Transformer) have a back-up timer that terminals the charge after about 16 hours if the on-charge voltage doesn't climb into the 44-46 volt range before that length of time has elapsed, but I'm not sure if the TC-III does or not.

The gurgling you hear is called Gassing and is normal.
(It is the result of the water in the electrolyte decomposing into Hydrogen and Oxygen through electrolysis, which is why lead-acid batteries consume water.)
Since the cells are gassing, or at least some of them, they are reaching about 2.35V per cell, or about 42V for a 36V pack.

As for the dang thing not quitting, check the voltage on the red and black wires that are attached to the control board. The voltage there should be identical to the pack voltage measure at the main positive and negative terminals on the battery pack.
If not, there is excessive resistance somewhere in the charging loop.
(Might be the burnt wire and terminal on the ammeter, or the radsoks in the charger plug/receptacle.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
ba89
Not Yet Wild

Sweet. On it. Thanks. I also should have mentioned it was on charge and humming for almost 23 hours before I unplugged it. It never took that long to reach full charge before.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
ba89
Not Yet Wild

ordered an ammeter replacement. seemed like a no brainer. let you know more when i get it installed. thanks for all the tips.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
ba89
Not Yet Wild

well replaced radsoks and meter on charger. meter is $22 shipped from amazon and radsoks are $28 shipped from ebay. best i could find on both. how important is the insulating cover on the right radsok? the old one crumbled and i was unable to put it on the new one.cart is still charging and running fine but it never quits charging. i will check each battery when i get the chance since i cant find my meter right now. anything else i should look out for? like is there a charger issue like a sensor that may be out. or is one or more batteries bad i wonder.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO