lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax DCX400 plug brake and Brake current

Can anyone explain to me how these work on a PDS cart? I went to the Alltrax website and read everything I could find about it on document depot and I am still confused on the two subjects. I then hooked up my laptop to the controller and played with both they seem like two different things. The plug brake is pretty aggressive when turned on where with it off and using the brake current slider it is less agressive. the brake current slider does work with the plug brake enabled or disabled. Has anyone played with these two settings? and what is the use of plug braking on a pds cart? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax DCX400 plug brake and Brake current

I was under the impression that the Plug Brake box turned the Regen Barking On or Off in a DCX controller, but from what you are saying and re-reading the Controller Pro manual a couple times, I'm confused about it also.

I haven't installed my DCX400PDS yet, so I can't verify, but from what I can decipher and what I've heard on-line here, with a Sepex motor you have two motor braking options. Plug Braking (which does not put energy back in the batteries) and Regenerative Barking(which does put energy back in the batteries).

With the Plug Brake box Deselected, you've got Regen Barking and the Brake current slider adjusts the amount.

With the Plug Brake box Selected, you've got Plug Barking and the Brake current slider adjusts the amount.

What I cannot figure out is if you have both Plug and Regen Barking with the box selected.
Maybe you can find out since your DCX controller is installed?

----------
As I understand it, the Regen Barking with a DCX controller, kicks in the moment, or almost immediately, when you lift you foot part way off the pedal.
On the other hand, Plug Braking doesn't occur until the pedal is all the way up.
So, with the Plug Brake box Selected, if the Regen Braking kicks in when you lift your foot part way off the pedal, you've probably got both.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB

What you just said is exactly the same conclusion i came up with. Just curiuos why the plug brake option is there on DCX boxes, I do do not see the need for plug braking on regen carts. Only thing I can come up with is it is the same software for series and regen carts.

I just wish that Alltrax posted the stock settings somewhere because I forgot to write them down before changing them.

I saw in one of your post that you where going to set your throttle up at 5 and throttle down at 8 could you please explain this? I have a lifted 2002 ezgo PDS that is lifted with 22" tires that I use at the hunting lease and I had both settings at 8 and it seemed a little twitchy. I am thinking about going back to 5 on both.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I had Scottyb program my controller with the same settings he is using on his 42V PDS cart before he shipped it.
I might change the Throttle up and down rates after I get it installed.

The throttle up rate adjust how fast the controller responds to the pedal being pushed down.
With it set to 15, it tracks the pedal position going down in real time, so you can spin the wheels and possibly do wheelies.
The lower setting, the long the time delay between the pedal being pushed and the controller output increasing the the pedal's physical position, which give the motor a chance to start turning before it can draw max Amps.
Lower setting are better if kids drive cart.

The throttle up rate, determines how the controller output tracks the pedal being lifted.
Again, 15 is real time. Lower settings add a time delay so the controller reduces power to the motor gradually over time.
In other words, how long it takes the cart to slow when you lift your foot.
This may also determine how long it takes for regen braking to kick in.

-----------
The software is for both series and shunt controllers and I agree about the programming software needing to tailored for specific model controllers.
Perhaps a menu of controllers akin to the menu of different types of throttles.

-------------
The Controller Pro manual has some typical setting info.
Here is what it says about Throttle Up & Down.

Looks like they recommend a down rate of twice the up rate, if the up rate is below 7.
So for 5 Up they recommend 10 Down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throttle Up Throttle Down.JPG (59.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That kind of goes against them setting the defaults at 5 each if they want one set higher then the other below 7
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The throttle up rate adjust how fast the controller responds to the pedal being pushed down.
With it set to 15, it tracks the pedal position going down in real time, so you can spin the wheels and possibly do wheelies.
The lower setting, the long the time delay between the pedal being pushed and the controller output increasing the the pedal's physical position, which give the motor a chance to start turning before it can draw max Amps.
Lower setting are better if kids drive cart.

The throttle up rate, determines how the controller output tracks the pedal being lifted.
Again, 15 is real time. Lower settings add a time delay so the controller reduces power to the motor gradually over time.
In other words, how long it takes the cart to slow when you lift your foot.
This may also determine how long it takes for regen braking to kick in.
Higher rates are fun at first, but it puts unnecessary mechanical strain on your motor/differential. If used excessively, it "may" lead to overheating the motor.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

@ yurtle
You wouldn't happen to know what throttle up rate sportcoupe had his SPM 72400 set to when he put the gears through his differential housing would you?

At least it lasted long enough to shoot a video of it doing wheelies.

I'm not laughing at his misfortune, and he did end up with a limited slip differential, but it was an eyeopener about what torque can do.

Instant acceleration isn't one of my needs or desires, so I might be backing off on the 5 setting I'm starting with.
I've got bad legs, so I can't walk very far and cell phone coverage is spotty in the areas I go to, so I'd hate to turn an axle in a hub and be stranded out in the boonies.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
@ yurtle
You wouldn't happen to know what throttle up rate sportcoupe had his SPM 72400 set to when he put the gears through his differential housing would you?

At least it lasted long enough to shoot a video of it doing wheelies.

I'm not laughing at his misfortune, and he did end up with a limited slip differential, but it was an eyeopener about what torque can do.

Instant acceleration isn't one of my needs or desires, so I might be backing off on the 5 setting I'm starting with.
I've got bad legs, so I can't walk very far and cell phone coverage is spotty in the areas I go to, so I'd hate to turn an axle in a hub and be stranded out in the boonies.

Just saw this today.

I got into programming my DCX today and found the throttle up rate setting (1-15). This setting is in no relation to the SPM controllers. The SPM comes with default throttle rate of "12" if I remember correctly. I like "20" better for daily driving, not too jerky.

You brought up the axle failure. Haha. I had the throttle rate set to "50" when I recorded the wheelie video. That setting is too much for regular driving though. The SPM software lets you adjust throttle rate up to "100" so it's not directly comparable to DCX programming.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

As to plug braking, from what I've read, it's useful on a forklift, where folks slam it from forward to reverse, which doesn't seem to be required for normal buggy use.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO