lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Questions before first purchase

I've been checking out craigslist for a few weeks looking for a nice cart to start off with. Yesterday I went to my local CC dealer and came across a 2003 DS IQ. The previous owner was a resident at a golf course, but I'm not if there were any other owners. They are asking $2,300 with new batteries, but will reduce the price to $1,900 if I want to keep the batteries that are in there. The batteries are from May 2011. The cart has a regular windshield, rear rain canopy, and head lights/tail lights. Is this a good price? Will I get $200 worth out of the old batteries? The salesman said they charge $600 for replacement batteries when I will need them down the road. Are there any features/benefits to getting a new model? Thanks for your help.
grhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Questions before first purchase

First off, to the forum...

That sounds like a great deal, especially coming from a dealer! My dealer where I live asks about $500-$1000 too much when the sell used carts, IMO. They would probably ask at least $2600 for the cart you described.
You will mainly want to look at the overall condition of the cart, and see how it drives. While driving, check for unusual noises like clicking, rubbing, squealing, etc. Also check the battery compartment for excessive corrosion. The IQ system was used up until last year, and is a solid drive system. There are 4 speed codes, with 19.6 mph being the fastest. If you look down above the go pedal, you will see the serial number, and next to it you will see 3 codes labeled A, B, and C if the cart has code 4 installed. Maybe just ask them if they know the speed setting...
As for the batts, you typically get 4-6 years out of them, depending on maintenance. I would pop open the fill caps and make sure they have sufficient water in them (completely covering the plates). If the cart drives good and strong, they have probably been maintained well.

By the way you describe it, it sounds like a good deal... Good luck!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Batteries are 2 years 3 months old. What model batteries are we talking about? Trojans? Interstate? What model battery?
$400 off for two yr old batts is in line, IF they will guarantee the batts for say 30 days and verify all cells are good and load test.
What will the New and $600 replacement batteries be? Mfg? Model? etc.

Price for cart seems okay, but others will need to chime in on that.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I agree with jakesnake, that doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. Sounds pretty loaded with lights and all. I personally would take it with the batteries. Also, since it is an IQ cart, maybe negotiate to have the 19.6 speed code installed included in the price if you want some more speed (unless it already has the code).

For me personally, and this is only my opinion some on here may not agree, I say get the new batteries just incase. yes they may look like they are well maintained but who really knows? For all you know the previous owner had the cart dead in his garage and traded it in to the dealer for whatever he could on a new cart. The dealer slowly nursed the batteries and got them to hold a charge for a while but not what a good pack should. Just a thought because he is offering to put new batteries in for $400.

You can't buy a set of 6-8volt batteries for anywhere near $400 and my local club car dealer you can't get them for $600 either.

Make sure everything functions properly, check tires, bend over and look under frame for cracks, etc.

Good luck and welcome to BGW!
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The current batteries are Trojan T-860. There is a sticker with Code A, Code B and Code C on it with the car serial # and controller serial #, so I'm guessing that means it has the speed code 4 installed? Car serial # starts with AQ0346. The way the dealer works is the customer picks out the cart, then the dealership does and inspection and fixes any problems. Then the customer can test drive it and make sure it's in good shape. As long as I don't need them to order anything special (radio or anything they don't keep in stock regularly) then I don't have to put down a deposit or anything.

I also came across a 1997 DS with a rear seat at another dealership that they agreed to lower the cost to $1,300 cash. The batteries are from 2008 though, and no light kit. It's a 2 hour drive, so I haven't looked at it in person yet. By my calculations, if I take the 1997 for $1,300, add $600 for batteries and $100 for light kit, I come out $500 cheaper than getting the 2003 with new batteries for $2,300 and add $300 for the rear seat. $207 for sales tax washes out the extra gas to drive the 2 hours. Any comments?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

It sounds like the 2003 will be a better choice. Your numbers seems about right, so you'll save some if you go with the 03, and the newer cart will be faster and will have more power (that's if the 97 is stock and hasn't been upgraded). The IQ system didn't come out until 2002, and it has much more power and speed than a stock series cart, which has a top speed of around 14 mph.
AQ03 is a 2003 DS, and yes, that code sticker means code 4 has been installed...
Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would go with the newer cart and new batteries for like said, better technology and the new batteries. $2300 isn't bad but a lot of that depends on where you live.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The salesman for the 2003 offered to lower the price $200, to $2,100 with new batteries, or $1,700 with the current set of 2 and a half year old batteries. I think that's too good of a deal to pass up. Just need to decide if it's worth the risk sticking with the old batteries.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here's the last offer from the salesman. Sounds like I'll go with the new batteries for 2100.

If you would like the 2003, with existing batteries and no warranty, I can get it to $1800.* We will charge up the existing batteries the best we can,* and do whatever is needed to the front end, change the busted headlight and make sure you have a decent windshield.* Hope this helps
Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post
The salesman for the 2003 offered to lower the price $200, to $2,100 with new batteries, or $1,700 with the current set of 2 and a half year old batteries. I think that's too good of a deal to pass up. Just need to decide if it's worth the risk sticking with the old batteries.
Wow, that's a tough call. Both are great deals, with or without new batteries.
The batts are only two years old, and in my opinion they have lots of life left.
I would lean toward the $1700 option. That is an excellent price for a cart with the accessories and batteries that are two years old.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car