lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Charging question concerning generators.

Rics68,
I also have a Honda 1000Ei, 1000 watt inverter generator. It almost works:

If the batteries are at all discharged, your charger begins charging at 20 amps. This loads the input to over 10 amps, according to the meter on my military genset. It's too much for the little Honda, and it cuts out on "Overload". (the little light comes on)

What I have done is to begin the charge using the WWII genset, then switching the charger power cord to the Honda once the charging rate drops off a bit, say to 10 amps or so. The Honda barks a bit and picks up the load, and the charger output is exactly what it was just before the switch.

A Honda 2000Ei should have no trouble running your charger.

I have an OLD EZ-Go charger, the kind with a manual timer and ferro-resonant regulation. I've considered installing a switchable resistor in the output lead, using one of the old resistor coils from my CC. Switch the resistor "in" during the beginning of the charge to control the current, then short it out later so the charger can finish doing its thing. Haven't experimented with it, but I see no reason it won't allow me to charge the cart from the Honda w/o using the 800# military genset.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think you are supposed to use an inverter generator for battery chargers. I have use the Honda EU200i for charging my boat and cart batteries with great success.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
Rics68,
I also have a Honda 1000Ei, 1000 watt inverter generator. It almost works:

If the batteries are at all discharged, your charger begins charging at 20 amps. This loads the input to over 10 amps, according to the meter on my military genset. It's too much for the little Honda, and it cuts out on "Overload". (the little light comes on)

What I have done is to begin the charge using the WWII genset, then switching the charger power cord to the Honda once the charging rate drops off a bit, say to 10 amps or so. The Honda barks a bit and picks up the load, and the charger output is exactly what it was just before the switch.

A Honda 2000Ei should have no trouble running your charger.

I have an OLD EZ-Go charger, the kind with a manual timer and ferro-resonant regulation. I've considered installing a switchable resistor in the output lead, using one of the old resistor coils from my CC. Switch the resistor "in" during the beginning of the charge to control the current, then short it out later so the charger can finish doing its thing. Haven't experimented with it, but I see no reason it won't allow me to charge the cart from the Honda w/o using the 800# military genset.
My cart is a 48 volt and the charger only puts out 15 amps max acording to the gauge. Powerdrive 2. I wonder if a 1000 watt generator would work? I'll pick up the generator first and see what size it is. Thought about running power to the camp house. The line would be a little over a mile. $$$ lol
Rics68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Rics68,
Multiplying 15 X 48 gives you 720 watts, same as 20 X 36. I'd suspect you'd have the same trouble as I did, if your Honda is the 1000Ei. (or is it EU1000i, I forget)

Anyway, the same 'fix' might work for you, just put some resistance in series with the output lead and switch it out after a half-hour or so, depending on how deeply discharged your cart is.

From my experience with the power company, you don't want to even THINK about running a mile of wire!
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
yetti96
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

This is a topic I have been discussing with some buddies as my town/development only allows electric carts. They don’t have any rules about hybrids :) I was thinking about throwing my 5500w genset on the flip flop and drive through town making more noise than a gas powered unit would and be completely legal. Not trying to prove a point as the association will always win, but it could happen one day.

I drive about 5 miles each way to work on the cart and have calculated that I have about 13-15 miles on range if I go down to 50% of battery. That means I cannot drive back home or into town for lunch on my break, back to work, and back home without range anxiety.

I am also in search of a parking spot at work that I can run an extension cord to so I can bring my charger and top off while at work and feel at ease while saving a few bucks too. So my obnoxious generator or finding an exterior outlet on our plant are my options to get 20+ miles a day from the cart.
yetti96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car