lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Another tire and wheel question

Okay I know there are tons of tire and wheel questions and I have for the most part reviewed many of them. I am almost to the part of our father/son project of the bigger tires. We have lifted the cart using a 6 inch buggies unlimited lift (what the budget allowed) the cart actually rides great to my surprise. We still have the smaller tires on it on 10 inch wheels. Tire wheel combos are expensive and I was thinking of getting just tires and having them mounted on the wheels we have. Now for the question, What are the best options for the 10 inch wheels and for the cart to keep it operating at a respectable level. It is a 1992 DS 36 volt (no resistor coil on it) has a Curtis controller on it I would have to double check the model I think its a 1204. with the new/used rear end and motor on it using the small tires (205/50/10) it runs 19 mph on my GPS on flat surface of course. lemme know what ya'll think.
NewtoBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Another tire and wheel question

maybe I should clairify - what size tire would go best for this set up on the 10 inch rims? its used for running to the kids school and back and in the neighborhood on mixed roads of paved and grass and occasional shellrock.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

ITP All Trails 22x11x10 are nice for your application. A little more aggressive tread than what you have now. Check around your area for who will mount golf cart tires as not all do. You might also be able to pick up a slightly used set of something from someone.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would get tires with a DOT rating.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Why DOT-rated?Its' not required,and if its' run off-road,you want a semi-aggressive tread at minimum.I agree with a 22"-tire.Tire selection should be based on the type of riding,and also the weight you carry.I run 4-ply aggressive rears,and 2-ply semi-aggressive fronts due to the fact that I use it for yard-work,trailer-towing etc,and also mud and climbing.The 2-ply fronts soak up bumps,rocks,etc,and also help when hitting fallen trees,etc at speed.You will lose a little low-end power,but gain top-speed.A simple upgrade to help the low-end would be to upgrade the battery-cable size.The extra amperage-carrying capacity will help some. Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Why DOT-rated?
My answer was based on the cart being able to go 19mph on paved roads. I wouldn't want the balloon, baloney skin golf cart tires on my cart doing 19mph while taking my kids to school. Now if I was doing yard work who cares.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Atv tires are rated for a lot more than 19mph,Ever seen them race?How about 60-80mph.The DOT-rating just means they are accepted by DOT for Highway-Use.There are DOT tires with ratings as low as 15mph on Ag/Construction equipment.Any tire grows with speed,that doesn't make them dangerous.An ATV tire will not fail due to speed on a cart or atv,as long as it is in good condition,and the air-pressure is not set too hard,or too soft(they can be run safely as low as 4psi in alot of applications).
Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

ok good feed back so far. is 22 inch the tallest I should go with out sacrificing too much on the low end? or am I able to go (just throwing it out there) 25 inch with out sacrificing too much on the stock electrics? There will be a back seat eventually but the kids are in front with me to and from school on the hard roads. The battery wires are the next upgrade. the project is on a here and there budget so its slow going.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

There are members here with a lot more Electric-Cart experience,but I think that 22"s are probably it for a basically stock drivetrain.You may end up doing more damage by going bigger at this point.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

With only a 6" lift 25's will rub the front body/fender. 23's fit on some of the lifts I use. 22 is guaranteed to fit.

244 tread " all trail " will probably be best for you. Anything more aggressive can get uncomfortably bumpy on paved roafs.
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car