lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Re: Need help with precedent light wiring

Smokey, you never said if the reducer you have has a trigger wire or not? If not then run the switch. No need for it to be on all the time. It will reduce the life of the reducer
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I am not following the term"trigger wire".

My reducer is from stretch plastics. It comes with a red, yellow, and black wire.

The black is the negative for the 48v and also the 12v.

The red wire has a fuse in line with it.( I think it is the 12v+)

The yellow wire, I think is the 48v+.

My main concern, is if the reducer is on all the time, that it runs the batteries down. On the other hand, I don't want to have to turn a switch on ( to energize the reducer) each time I want to use the lites..
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post

My main concern, is if the reducer is on all the time, that it runs the batteries down. On the other hand, I don't want to have to turn a switch on ( to energize the reducer) each time I want to use the lites..
That is what I was trying to say. Use one switch, call it the light switch, except have it turn the reducer on. Wire the lights direct to the reducer, so the lights come on when you turn the switch, it powers the reducer making the lights come on. Clear as mud.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Mr Golf

I now understand what you are saying. It does makes sense, don't know about the "mud"

OK lets say we are going to do it your way, now remember I have a precedent bucket harness and lite kit. All wires have certain connectors on them that mate with other wires on the cart.

That means the lite switch is already wired into this new lite kit harness. And the 2 loose wires that hang inside the battery area ( from the bucket harness) are suppose to go to pack 48+ and pack 48-.

Now can you direct me how to hook up theses wires, your way? One time I tried wiring a lite kit and sent 48v to the bulbs and blew them out.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I have never looked at the wiring on your model cart. To me the best thing to do is use a 48 volt relay, it can be wired to power the power supply with the key switch. You need to have a good understanding of electrical wiring.

Back to what you ask. You would need to take the wires off the light switch and hook them to the 12 volt pos wire of the power supply. Then run the neg of the two 48 volt wires for the power supply to one side of the now empty light switch, run wire from the other lug on the light switch to battery pack neg. this way when you turn switch on the power supply powers up supplying the 12 volts to the lights. I am assuming the light switch currently has the wire for the pos. side of the lights. If I was there I could show you better than I can explain. Sorry for my lack of being able to explain better. If the light switch currently controls the neg side of the lights. That changes things.

Maybe CTD can explain what I am trying to say I think he is more up date on your wiring harness.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just finished the exact install you are doing using the deluxe light kit with turns brakes, horn etc. I bought the reducer shown in the pic from eBay. It was a straight plug and play install. Bucket harness in and light kit on out. Super simple. It works off my factory key switch. The picture is from the original auction page. I didn't take any pics myself during the install. If you want info on the seller, PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power.jpg (55.7 KB, 0 views)
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bought a 48 volt relay off Ebay for 5.98 delivered
they are used in the Charger for the precedent
I hooked the relay to the Key Switch and the power wire
from the battery to the relay then to the Voltage reducer
when I turn on the key, it energizes the relay, the relay energizes the reducer
and the reducer powers the lights and everything works great like that
when the lights are on and the key switch turns off, the lights and the radio all go off
lust like your automobile does

Very cheap and simple to do and NO WORRIES about leaving the lights on and
killing the batteries

Dale D
Dale-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Jneubig , I don't have the deluxe kit. Mine is not plug and play. Today I went ahead and wired in a toggle switch, under the seat, in line with the 48 volt feed to the reducer.

So they can leave the reducer on or turn it off, I will tell them that's what they need to do.

I like the idea of a relay that is switched by the key switch.

DALE send me the link to your ebay relay, I want to check it out. You can post it here.

I would like to know how you wired it?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
Jneubig , I don't have the deluxe kit. Mine is not plug and play. Today I went ahead and wired in a toggle switch, under the seat, in line with the 48 volt feed to the reducer.

I got ya. I was thinking you had the same bucket harness as me without the extra components.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok, I am going to end this post, since I did get the lites hooked up and they are working.

thanks to all you guys that took your time to respond. No place like this forum.

thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car