lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
GeoJoe
Getting Wild

Star

Exclamation Star Cart top - shed 100lbs or more

The original top that came on my Star Cart was a combo of a fiberglass top and a solid steel basket. Together they must have weighed over 100lbs.

So I have decided to shed this combo and install a different basket. This is tubular steel and with four holes drilled, magically mounted to the stock bolts with very little effort. It's much lighter and the cart is not as top heavy. Not only is it functional, it's also shorter and actually fits in my garage now! Original height of this cart is over 7 feet tall.

The best part is that there are now handles all over the top. Before, my passengers didn't have an "oh sht" bar to hold on to! Oh, and it seems faster. No GPS test yet.

Now I just need some type of tarp to keep a few rain drops off of me. Any passengers will just have to get wet.
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
TejasStar
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Star Cart top - shed 100lbs or more

I took my basket off and was surprised how much it weighed. Like 50+ pounds. If I was using the cart at the beach, it would be great for hauling all the required gear. But on the farm, it just catches branches and made the cart top heavy.
TejasStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasStar View Post
I took my basket off and was surprised how much it weighed. Like 50+ pounds. If I was using the cart at the beach, it would be great for hauling all the required gear. But on the farm, it just catches branches and made the cart top heavy.
How do you like the pro-fill watering system?
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
Timdelta
Getting Wild

Tomberlin

I have a Tomberlin with a Profill water system. It is the best thing I think anyone could buy. It takes about 1 min to fill all the batteries. I have a 4 seater with 2 batteries under the front seat, so it would be a hassle to fill those too. i simply open the back seat, connect the hose and one minute later all 6 batteries are full. I have also noticed since I don't open any caps, except 3 times a year, no acid juice anywhere on the batteries. In a nutshell it is cleaner, faster, and so easy the batteries are always full of water. Need I say anything more?
Timdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
TejasStar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdelta View Post
I have a Tomberlin with a Profill water system. It is the best thing I think anyone could buy. It takes about 1 min to fill all the batteries. I have a 4 seater with 2 batteries under the front seat, so it would be a hassle to fill those too. i simply open the back seat, connect the hose and one minute later all 6 batteries are full. I have also noticed since I don't open any caps, except 3 times a year, no acid juice anywhere on the batteries. In a nutshell it is cleaner, faster, and so easy the batteries are always full of water. Need I say anything more?
I love it as well! Anything that makes maintenance fun and easy is a winner in my book. I also hope that it will make the batteries last longer since I am more likely to keep them topped off.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasStar View Post
I love it as well! Anything that makes maintenance fun and easy is a winner in my book. I also hope that it will make the batteries last longer since I am more likely to keep them topped off.
That is my experience too. I just wanted confirmation. This is my first cart. I find it extremely easy and quick to top off the batteries. Thanks for your input. How often do you top your batteries off? I live in Florida.
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdelta View Post
What kind of "water"?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
TejasStar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
What kind of "water"?
Distilled, Shaken, not stirred.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
Timdelta
Getting Wild

Tomberlin

Distilled water only to fill the batteries.
Timdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay