lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
hunth2ofowl
Not Yet Wild

Default battery issue

OK, I have a 2000 ez go gas.

It has frequently had issues starting. It seems to turn over but takes a while. once it starts it is fine.

The other day. When I pressed the peddal it clicked, but wouldn't turn over. It finally started and ran all day. I went out two days later and it wouldn't even turn over the starter. I charged the battery. you can see the starter generator spin, but the belt doesn't move. When it does catch, there is not enough power to spin the clutchs. It runs the battery down pretty quickly.

My guess is that the battery is weak, but not sure if it is weak because the generator is not charging it.

I have tried to find a new battery. THe old one was made by DEKA and the number is 424 / 26G. I have tried to find an equivalent battery at Walmart, Autozone, and Napa, but nobody can find the crossreference.

I don't need a DEKA. What battery and battery number do you have in your carts?

THnaks
hunth2ofowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Default Re: battery issue

Have you checked the voltage of the battery? If so what is it?

Are all the connections clean?
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

in my gas 91 yamaha i've just got a motomaster car battery. as long as your old battery is still 12 volts then i think a car battery is an ok replacement.
if your belt off the starter gen isn't caching then you might need a new belt, unless there is a way to tighten it so it grips better.

it possible that the starter gen isn't charging but i don't know how to test that.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's a 70 series battery

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

A simple test is to measure the battery voltage when the cart is shut off, then measure the same way with the cart running. If the generator is working the battery voltage will increase when running.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You said when trying to start the belt doesn't move. Its sliping and isn't charging the battery.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

The cart uses a group 26 battery, hence the 26G. any group 26 battery will work. they carry them at most all auto parts stores and walmarts.
If your talking about the bigger drive belt not moving when trying to start, well it's not really suppose to. If it's the smaller belt then tighten it up. get your cart running in neutral and measure the volts at the battery posts then let us know what it is.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
hunth2ofowl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the posts. You can probably tell from my posts that I am not extremely mechnically inclined, but I am not affraid to dig in if I have an idea what to do, so I appreciate all of the help sites like this provide. My dad is a mechanic, but I hate to bother him (he refuses to allow me to pay) if I don't have to.

I charged the battery and it is showing 12 volts. Occasionally the starter will spin, but usually without the belt moving and when the belt does catch it doesn't have enough ummpf to turn the engine over.

Judging from these posts, it seems that the belt MIGHT be the issue. Can it be tightened or do I need to get a new one? It doesn't appear that the old one is very worn.

As for the battery, car batteries will work? Someone told me that the batteries were special because you sit over them. They are sealed so that they are less likely to explode ?????

Starter: What about the brushes in the starter? From what I can read they can cause it to have issues starting. If that is the case, could the continual cranking that I have had to do in the past be related to that and also may have contributed to a weaker battery? I wonder if I have multiple issues here. Final question: does anyone know of a step by step listing of how to change the brushes if they are needed?
hunth2ofowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunth2ofowl View Post
I charged the battery and it is showing 12 volts. Occasionally the starter will spin, but usually without the belt moving and when the belt does catch it doesn't have enough ummpf to turn the engine over. ?
If the starter is spinning and the motor is not your starter/generator belt is loose and not charging the battery, hence why it's having trouble starting when it does "catch". The belt can be tightend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunth2ofowl View Post
As for the battery, car batteries will work? Someone told me that the batteries were special because you sit over them. They are sealed so that they are less likely to explode ?????
I've never heard that one before. A group 26 car battery will fit.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

On a little aide I didn't like the fumes under the seat so I put my bat in a boat battery case that I drilled a hole in the top and bottom and ran two 3/4 inch hoses down below the frame.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO