lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Delay or hesitation when starting.. Is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Race Chaser I would look at your belt adjustment. As I said just replaced mine as I didn't have any adjustment left. I new that when I did my rebuild but it was late and wanted to get it going. It did produce a bit of a whine before starting before I changed it.
This sounds more like an electrical whine. The motor doesn't turn at all. Just whines a bit, until I let off the gas and retry.
Race Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Check ground cable if tightly screwed into chassis.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I tested the solenoid today as Dave instructed. It gets 12 volts instantly when the pedal is pressed.

I noticed that even when it does start to turn over it seems like its dragging a bit on the first couple of engine rotations. Just for the heck of it, I tested it with the spark plug removed and it turns over instantly. No hesitation at all. To me, that sounds like the problem is either a dragging starter (worn brushes?) or the timing is off.

When I rebuilt the motor I made sure that the pulsar was centered, so I'm leaning towards it being the starter dragging. That would explain why it turns over instantly without the spark plug because less compression = easier for the starter to turn the engine. Thoughts?

If it does turn out to be the starter, would repairing it be as simple as replacing the brushes? If so, I can do that myself.
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

Back when I maintained a fleet of 2-stroke E-Z-Go for the local country club (as in some decades ago), one of the problems was weak starting. The solution was new brushes and polish the commutator - after that they fired right off.
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbriggs View Post
Back when I maintained a fleet of 2-stroke E-Z-Go for the local country club (as in some decades ago), one of the problems was weak starting. The solution was new brushes and polish the commutator - after that they fired right off.
Gonna try that next. Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
racin161
Gone Wild

Well Plumbergs & Dave Had some time to look at mine while trying to start it. As it turns out while cranking the ground wire at the battery was getting hot BAD GROUND? well removed all contact points ie. battery,frame,and engine- ground and cleaned them thoroughly and replaced both battery cable clamps also cleaning the battery terminals.After looking at the connections at the solenoid I didn't like the idea of the spade connectors so I cut and removed them and replaced them with eyelets and reattached them as they did show some corrosion.BETTER connection? Well the out come it still had a slow crank so I tested battery voltage and found it to be a bit low.Battery is less than 1 year old.SO I put my battery charger on for a bit and guess what? Fast cranking just like new. Well the out come either it's not charging to full out put which i'll check or the short trips to my shop and to the house START & STOP is not running it long enough to keep the battery up. So any thoughts? Starter/Gen rebuilt less than a year ago.Maybe Regulator? I'll get back and let you know my out come.Wally World my get there battery back.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #17
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

racin161,
I've noticed with mine that it doesn't get a good charge unless I get the rpms up for an extended amount of time, so you might be right about it not running long enough. I'd try riding a bit further with a little more throttle and see if it charges better.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #18
racin161
Gone Wild

Can't afford the gas lol ! Really the only time it gets used to the max is when granddaughter is over. I'll still check the charging just for piece of mind but I think I've found the culprit ME. Maybe a volt gauge is on my Christmas list.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO